Overhead Video

Sweetie3.14

:
Mazda5
Has anyone put the overhead video for the backseats in their 5? Is it the Mazda version or other aftermarket? Difficulty of installation?

It sure would help entertain the little ones on longer trips.

With the current exchange rate?! I'll order it from Crutchfield or someplace on line.

Because of the exchange rate here I would try and attempt it myself before paying too much.

I installed the OEM DVD myself

I installed the OEM DVD myself (rockon)
See my thread, which includes pictures:

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123702492

Don't buy the full price Mazda DVD. It's an audiovox VOD705. I bought a brand new one in the box for a 2002 ford explorer for $170 on eBay. Mazda wants $1200 for it.
The trick is to buy the Mazda OEM install kit for that audiovox vod705.
It comes with clear step-by step instructions and more importantly, it comes with the brachet to mount the VOD705 to the roof without drilling, welding or epoxying.

Let me know if you need more detais

Thanks! (yippy)

That is just what I was looking for. The Mazda install kit will be ordered today and I will look at Crutchfield or onlinecarstereo.com for some players. I do a lot of buying off of eBay but when it comes to electronics I tend to stay away unless the seller has a good rep.

Audiovox

Just be sure to get the Audiovox VOD705
And it'll plug right in

Mine (the 02 Ford Explorer DVD) did not have a built in dome light.
Not an issue, as you retain your orginal domelight.
Apparently the dvd player from the factory has an addional domelight...not needed on the Mazda5.
I did run the wireharness for the extra domelight, in case I ever need to replace the DVD player.

Good luck. Keep us posted on your progress

Ivo

I will try and attempt it myself and if I do I will be sure to take lots of pics!

I'm not sure of the Audiovox, quality concerns, and I want a bigger screen than 7".

Unfortunately, I might have to wait until the spring to do it. I ordered the 5 in February and am still waiting. Last word I got it was in Baltimore two weeks ago and the warm fry weather is done for the year here.

HI!! Do you still got the cutting template for RES?

I installed the OEM DVD myself (rockon)
See my thread, which includes pictures:

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123702492

Don't buy the full price Mazda DVD. It's an audiovox VOD705. I bought a brand new one in the box for a 2002 ford explorer for $170 on eBay. Mazda wants $1200 for it.
The trick is to buy the Mazda OEM install kit for that audiovox vod705.
It comes with clear step-by step instructions and more importantly, it comes with the brachet to mount the VOD705 to the roof without drilling, welding or epoxying.

Let me know if you need more detais

Cheers from ice cold Finland.
Well Im new member here and speak very bad english, but I just bought my
Mazda 5 model 2009 and I am going to install a 8,5"" rear Dvd system.
It would be great help if you still got the cutting template which would be great help when cutting the headliner ;D
So let me know if you still have it and if you are willing to buy it and send that for example via airmail?

Isn't it better to go with new headrests with the build in screens?
With a short roof line a drop down DVD would block the rear view completely, would it not?

Here's my solution to unlimited video and music. We only use this for long road trips and try not to spoil the kids with too much video in the car. The Cloud is already looming overhead and media will die. Not worth putting money into DVD players, IMO. Now, if only the OEM HU was Bluetooth enabled...

-OEM HU
-Ipad (in-between front driver seats)
-Griffin Cinema Seat case
-3.5mm + USB to Apple connector cable
-T-Mobile 4G Hot Spot (or tether your mobile device. I find 3G is not good enough).

Question for those with fix DVD/entertainment systems, I have this preconceived notion that once a child knows that they can watch videos on that monitor, they will ask for it every time they get into the car. Is this true from your experience? I understand this differs with every family/child but I’d like to hear your experience.

My kids certainly would. I have two portable DVD players that I attach to the back of the front headrests for long drives. When those two are installed, the kids want to watch movies.

My daughter has her tablet. It has a lock feature so she can't mess with it. Once the first movie is done, it will skip to the following one. Right now it has at least 10 or so full movies and lots of other episodes of Spanish/Hindi/English shows.

Back