Winter tires and tpms

kernel88

When I get a set of wheels/snow tires for our CX9 do you have to put on tire pressure sensors? If not, what will happen? Will a light come on or will it make beeping noises? We have to get a set before driving in our mild western NY weather(lol).

This is my first post and I tried to do a search to no avail. By the way, my wife and I love this vehicle and could not turn away the deal we got last week for our new GT model($29500). Thanks.

If you do not have the TPMS sensors installed, the light will remain on all the time (very bright, very annoying). I don't believe there is anything that will prevent you from driving the vehicle.

While they aren't cheap, they're worth installing. A few days after I first got our CX-9, the light came on. I got out and looked at all the tires and didn't see any that looked low. But just to be sure, I got out the pressure guage and checked them all. One of them was down about 10psi due to a nail. Without the TPMS, I would have taken off down the interstate with no idea that there was a problem and wouldn't have realized it until it was WAY low and dangerous.

I have a second set of winter wheels / tires and got the TPMS sensors installed.

I checked the tirerack and it says that a winter wheel/tire package 245/65-17 will fit in place of our 20" wheels. Can you really drop down 3 sizes without any problems?

So long as the wheel rim will clear the brake components, it should be fine. Now that does not mean it will look a bit odd with smaller wheels as the wheel to fender gap will increase somewhat.

As to the TPMS, it appears the TPMS sensors Mazda uses in the CX-9 are in the 315MHz and are interchangeable with the 3, 5, 6 and RX-8 and I've seen a set of 4 (used but that shouldn't matter) on eBay for $149 so it's not so bad.

So long as the wheel rim will clear the brake components, it should be fine. Now that does not mean it will look a bit odd with smaller wheels as the wheel to fender gap will increase somewhat.

As to the TPMS, it appears the TPMS sensors Mazda uses in the CX-9 are in the 315MHz and are interchangeable with the 3, 5, 6 and RX-8 and I've seen a set of 4 (used but that shouldn't matter) on eBay for $149 so it's not so bad.

Personally, before I spend $149 used, I'd spend the extra $50 and go new through waynemazdafactoryparts.com.

The reason is that the plastic housings inside the wheel can be easily cracked when R&R'd, and if that happens the sensor will not work properly.
Also, new gives the benefit of new "O" rings and seals, unlike the original seals on the used units that could be dryrotted and have already deformed to the shape of the previous install, and therefore leak when reinstalled onto a new application (or the same one for that matter).

Personally, before I spend $149 used, I'd spend the extra $50 and go new through waynemazdafactoryparts.com.

The reason is that the plastic housings inside the wheel can be easily cracked when R&R'd, and if that happens the sensor will not work properly.
Also, new gives the benefit of new "O" rings and seals, unlike the original seals on the used units that could be dryrotted and have already deformed to the shape of the previous install, and therefore leak when reinstalled onto a new application (or the same one for that matter).

Call it BS if you will, that's your prerogative.

(wow)Defensive much? I made a suggestion on what to do and it appears you took it personally for some reason.(uhm) I'm not sure why but I suggest you perhaps dial the defensiveness down a notch.

And nice plug for waynemazdaofwherever.

One thing to keep in mind - the TPMS sensors do not include the nuts that screw over the valve stem to mount them! Exactly why Mazda packages them that way I'm not sure, but I had to go back and get the nuts after I had received the sensors - very annoying.

Obviously, if you get a wheel package from Tire Rack, that isn't an issue.

As for the 17" wheels, they may look a little goofy, but if Tire Rack says they'll work, I'm sure they will. I went with 18" wheels for the winter tires.

(wow)Defensive much? I made a suggestion on what to do and it appears you took it personally for some reason.(uhm) I'm not sure why but I suggest you perhaps dial the defensiveness down a notch.

And nice plug for waynemazdaofwherever.

It's not a plug for Wayne Mazda asshole, merely information as to where to receive factory TPMS at a reasonable price. I'm not associated with the dealer, nor do I profit from their sales.

What's real is that in the wild, I bet you wouldn't have the balls to step to me (or anyone) the way you seem willing to in the safety and anonymity of cyberspace.

In the future, I'll make sure to pass on any activity you generate or respond to on this forum, can't put it any plainer than that.

I wasn't trying to 'step up', dumbass. You started this with your bulls*** little remark at the end. It is apparent that it is actually you who seek confrontation on the internet. I don't.

I will ignore you too. However, here is one book I strongly recommend for you:
big0671027034.jpg

Back on topic please. Amazing that a coversation on TPMS sensors can turn into a fight.

Tire Rack sells the TPMS, I have the 245/65/17, they fit fine, work great in the snow, I had them include the TPMS, it was worth whatever they charged (not much) to have the light out and retain the low pressure alert function.

Thanks for the info guys. I didn't mean for it to get ugly(lol). I think I will skip the tpms and save a couple hundred dollars. Will tirerack still sell the setup without the sensors?

I wanted to let you guys know that I just received my winter tire/wheel setup from the TireRack today. Looks great. I bought the Winterforce snows and 17" wheels. They fit fine just like they said. These tires will definitely get my wife through just about anything. I can't say enough about all my buying experience I have had with them. I hope this helps someone with their decisions.

One guy on other forum suggested to put a black tape on where the TPMS light is so that it does not bother you thru the winter w/o TPMS. Cheap and effective solution.

I had a set of 19's put together for my snow set up. Had the TPMS installed and it was about $30/per rim if I remember. Not that bad and if you plan on using them for years to come it is worth the investment. Around here the snows are on for 4 plus months.

I wanted to let you guys know that I just received my winter tire/wheel setup from the TireRack today. Looks great. I bought the Winterforce snows and 17" wheels. They fit fine just like they said. These tires will definitely get my wife through just about anything. I can't say enough about all my buying experience I have had with them. I hope this helps someone with their decisions.

can we get a look at how the 17"s look on the cx-9? I know we're into Apr 09 now, but if you happen to have taken pics, I would love a glance to see whether or not i should buy a winter set of wheels/tires.

thanks.

I don't have pictures of them on my wife's car as I took them off several weeks ago. TireRack does a good job of showing what your vehicle will look like with them on. Obviously, the OEM setup looks much nicer but my wife really didn't care about the look as long as they got her through the snow(which they did with flying colors).

Back