Draw-tite hitch install

raspykart

Time: 1/2hr
Cost: $85 for hitch, $25 for lock, $40 for 1-1/4" - 2" adapter
Difficulty: 16yr old
Tools: Drill n bits, car ramps (optional), basic socket set, torque wrench (maybe optional)
DIY: heck yeah, wouldn't pay anyone to do it... well maybe pay a mechanically apt neighbor a couple beers.

I highly recommend this hitch. It comes with the stinger n all if you ever wanna tow anything, but for me the really cool thing was the completeness. They include a slick little tool for feeding the bolts into place, not sure if the hidden hitch includes it too. Here's some tips tho. I bought mine from etrailer, it got backordered and they didn't tell me so ya gotta stay on top of them.

- I found it helpful to back up onto some ramps for more room.
- After drilling the 1/2" holes be sure the bolts fit through with a wee bit of slop (room for the fishing wire to fit through too)
- The wrench sizes mentioned are wrong. You need 3/4" and I think 9/16" (not 11/16")
- Took about 1/2hr, 1 person can do it but a 2nd to hold the hitch in place can help.
- The 1 1/4" - 2" adapter fits fine, it doesn't quite hit the bumper. If your gonna use an adapter slip it in and make sure it won't hit before tightening down the hitch. (the hitch has some adj in it)

Attachments

• hitchwayback.jpg
    hitchwayback.jpg
    137 KB · Views: 634
  • hitchrear.jpg
    hitchrear.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 652
Last edited:
k, I'll snap a couple this weekend for ya. The hitch was $85 +s/h. If you get a hitch, a lock, and an adapter from etrailer it comes to $150ish and you get free shipping for orders $150 or more.

Are you guys talking about hitching up a trailer, thought that m5 couldnt tow a trailer?

There are a few people towing light trailers. Most people get a hitch for a bike rack, though.

You may want a tranny cooler for an auto if you decide to tow a trailer.

Are you guys talking about hitching up a trailer, thought that m5 couldnt tow a trailer?

Interesting Hitch Trivia:
Many of the hitch brands are actually owned by one company - see the parent company's website: www.cequent.com - parent of Hidden Hitch, Reese and Draw-Tite among others. (Cequent in turn is owned by another company - go figure.)

Don't know how all these hitches for the M5 relate - but having a Hidden Hitch installed tomorrow - 60841. Hoping I don't see too much of it below the bumper.

I got my trailer hitch kit and installation at U-Haul for about $300 Canadian.

WoW, you should go back and ask for $100 refund! The hitch is only $125 ( or at least that's what I paid when I bought mine from U-Haul!!! It only took me 30 minutes to install (and that's without experience installing them)

was98strat.

which Uhaul dealer is that? Also what model no. if you dont mind if I can buy the hitch only I think Ill install it myself too

I bought my hitch at the Uhaul on Kingston Rd. At the Guildwood GO station. It's been 2 years since I put the hitch on, it was one of the first things I did, took them a while to get the hitch in stock

Here it is right off the uhaul site. It's a Reese Hitch if I remember correctly!

24754 Sportframe 1 1/4 inch Rec 1 2000 N/A Black $129.95

4 bolts and an hour of your time and it's installed!

I bought my hitch at the Uhaul on Kingston Rd. At the Guildwood GO station. It's been 2 years since I put the hitch on, it was one of the first things I did, took them a while to get the hitch in stock

Here it is right off the uhaul site. It's a Reese Hitch if I remember correctly!

24754 Sportframe 1 1/4 inch Rec 1 2000 N/A Black $129.95

4 bolts and an hour of your time and it's installed!

Still too expensive... can get a hitch for $85.

think the owners manual says 2000lbs and a 200lb tounge weight. With the up high tail lights I wonder how easy it'd be to get by without trailer lights.

Actually the Owners manual explicitly says NOT TO TOW with the 5, it will void your warranty. But in other juristictions I believe it's up to that rating! Go figure!

Actually the Owners manual explicitly says NOT TO TOW with the 5, it will void your warranty. But in other juristictions I believe it's up to that rating! Go figure!

yeah I gotta chance to re-evaluate... those ratings are Class 1 ratings per hitch guidelines... far as I can tell you can only get a class 1 for the 5 anyways. I agree that what we're physically able to tow isn't the same as what Mazda intends the vehicle to be able to tow. If I had to tow something I guess to be safe I'd split the difference at first n see.

Just installed a hidden hitch ($136 w/tax). Not tough, though I recommend to use (or buy) a 1/2 inch drill bit that looks like a normal drill bit. My bit has a raised center tip and raised outer edges (which may help with wood), and it was a pain to finish off the hole (bit kept getting jammed and had to file). Also, a little bigger than the 1/2 in hole is needed to allow the provided, neat-o "fish wire" to fit through holding the bolt. Safety first as always - wear safety glasses if you prefer metal drill shavings to stay out of your eyes.

Did my hitch this past weekend, very easy ( just a bit messy, remember those safety glasses ). Have not run the wiring yet, has anyone else done this and where did you run the power wire in the car?

(drinks)

We might be adding a hitch sometime, despite Mazda's recommendation not to tow.
Oh well. It's my car, and far as I'm concerned - warranties are hardly ever worth the hassle. It's usually easier if I fix it anyway.

michael.

Just ordered a hitch yesterday. Did some research and it seemed Draw-tite and hidden hitch, though use different part #, always share the same installation instruction. I finally picked the one from Curt because the opposite ends of the the receiver of this hitch are attached to the body frame, which I prefer over attaching to the towing hook. But this kind of set up may take longer time to install. Also just realized I don't have a 1/2" drill bit, or even a drill that can handle the drill bit of this size -- may have to rent one when I do the installation.

I will use the hitch mainly for bike racks. Just wonder if any particular brand/model are of your guy's favorite -- currently I have two adult bikes and two kids bikes, but in long run I will eventually need to haul 4 bikes. No many choices for the 1-1/4" receiver.

Back