Removing Badges

Hello everyone. I'm new to the forum, but I did try to search before posting this question. I'm hoping it's somewhat new.

I am wanting to clean up the look of the back of my car by taking off the "Mazda 3" logo and the dealer adhesive, leaving only the "M" in the middle of the trunk lid. Is this as simple as just pulling them off and cleaning away any residue, or will body/paint work be necessary for filling connection holes or anything?

From what I understand, there'll be two screw holes left behind that you'll need to get filled.

i am pretty sure that there is no body work involved in removing the mazda3 from the back. i know quite a few people who have done this and i know that they all didn't have their hatches painted to do it.

The large M in the hatch is there to stay unless you want to have a body shop fill the holes and spray it. IMO, that's crazy, but some do it.

The Mazda Speed3 comes off easily. Just grab a hair dryer and a plastic spatula from your kitchen.

Heat the emblem up with the hair dryer for about one minute working from one side to the other and simply lift it off with the spatula. Just go slow and so that you don't have to spend much time cleaning off adhesive residue.

You can use WD40 or even gas from your lawn mower on a rag to remove the solvent.

Don't stress too much. You're not going to ruin the paint if you go slow and heat it up good.

Hello everyone. I'm new to the forum, but I did try to search before posting this question. I'm hoping it's somewhat new.

I am wanting to clean up the look of the back of my car by taking off the "Mazda 3" logo and the dealer adhesive, leaving only the "M" in the middle of the trunk lid. Is this as simple as just pulling them off and cleaning away any residue, or will body/paint work be necessary for filling connection holes or anything?

The large M in the hatch is there to stay unless you want to have a body shop fill the holes and spray it. IMO, that's crazy, but some do it.

The Mazda Speed3 comes off easily. Just grab a hair dryer and a plastic spatula from your kitchen.

Heat the emblem up with the hair dryer for about one minute working from one side to the other and simply lift it off with the spatula. Just go slow and so that you don't have to spend much time cleaning off adhesive residue.

You can use WD40 or even gas from your lawn mower on a rag to remove the solvent.

Don't stress too much. You're not going to ruin the paint if you go slow and heat it up good.

and wash it to be safe and peace of mind.

To be honest, I'm eventually wanting to strip all the emblems off the car (including the gigantic Ms on the grille and rear of the car). However for the time being (because of money), I want to do the little things that don't cost anything: taking off those badges that don't have holes behind them, and taking off the side moldings.

I appreciate the advice, guys. I'll let you know how it goes once I take a crack at the badges. Also, I was talking to a guy once when I was wanting to take the badges off my P5 (for those who are curious, there are holes behind those) and he strongly advised against using gasoline to remove adhesive because he said it would damage the clear coat. Fact or myth?

OK... I saw a couple of threads on this subject but this one directly mentions it. I'm looking for a definitive answer. Will the 2.3 badges on the doors of my '08 s GT sedan come off without leaving holes? Has anyone actually done this and can confirm there's no holes? I want to take them off and put one of them on the trunk lid opposite the Mazda3 badge. Thanks for your answers!!

OK... I saw a couple of threads on this subject but this one directly mentions it. I'm looking for a definitive answer. Will the 2.3 badges on the doors of my '08 s GT sedan come off without leaving holes? Has anyone actually done this and can confirm there's no holes? I want to take them off and put one of them on the trunk lid opposite the Mazda3 badge. Thanks for your answers!!

There is NO holes... and that was the 2008.5 model my friend took off the side molding and the 2.3 looked funny so we took them off.

There is NO holes... and that was the 2008.5 model my friend took off the side molding and the 2.3 looked funny so we took them off.

Thanks for the confirmation skylar! I'm hoping to have enough time this weekend to take off the side moldings and 2.3 badges. Like I said, I plan to put one of the 2.3 badges on the trunk lid on the passenger side opposite the "MAZDA3" badge. I think it will look natural there and still have a uniqueness to it.

Thanks for the confirmation skylar! I'm hoping to have enough time this weekend to take off the side moldings and 2.3 badges. Like I said, I plan to put one of the 2.3 badges on the trunk lid on the passenger side opposite the "MAZDA3" badge. I think it will look natural there and still have a uniqueness to it.

Should look awesome!!! Pictures when you get around to it!

Should look awesome!!! Pictures when you get around to it!

Will do!

Hey... anybody know where I can get a "GT" badge that will come close to matching the 2.3 badge? I'd like to have "2.3 GT" on the trunk lid. I think that would be sweet, but I don't want it to look out of place. Let me know if you have any info on that. Thanks! (cool)

I have been doing my own debadging project under the radar. I put some double stick on the inside of the rear hatch holes (passenger side was quite rough to get to) and have slowly starting applying touch up paint inside the holes. I did this to the front of my Integra and it came out near perfect.

My plan is to get it just slightly above the rest of the paint and then find someone to wetsand (I have no wetsanding experience). Does it sound like this is good or full of fail?? Btw, also going to remove the rear wiper. Yes I will have pics

Back