my car's first warranty issue

5phreak

:
2007 5 Touring Whitewater Pearl
Driver's side rear shock belched all it's fluid on my garage floor and now it's rattling around back there.

Taking car in Thursday for replacement - at least I hope they have the part in stock since I have a 10 hour drive this weekend.

I'm going to ask them to perform any TSBs they are equipped to do also.

Yikes, oh well. I remember reading this issue for the 06s but keep us on the loop. If you can post the part number on your receipt after the change, it would be great.

Now that I have the 06 as my daily commuter the driver's side rear shock makes a weird thud noise on subtle potholes at 90F+ days, and definitely is beyond normal. I took the service guy for a ride but it was in the morning so no success reproducing it. It is not visibly bad but from all the cars I have owned it definitely sounds like something is not OK down there...

Check this old post, just in case they give you trouble:
http://www.mazdav.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123632763

Best of luck!

there's no way they'll give me any problems, the shock is visibly shot, soaked in oil and now covered in dirt. and it rattles like the shaft is broken, very easy to hear.

i think it was doing it for a while, though not as loud. I thought it was something in my tool box. obviously one day it just crapped out all together and like i said, it left all it's oil in a puddle on the garage floor.

i'm just glad i know what the noise is now.

What was the mileage on your 5 when the shock died?
Just curious to see if anyone else has this problem at around the same time.
Thanks,
Anthony

My '06 had around 23k I think, when one of the rear shocks self destructed. Funny thing is a couple of weeks earlier, when our 5 was at the dealer for like the millionth time we had a '07 mz5 rental and the right rear shock was busted on that one! Scary over bumps, we brought it right back and got another Mz5 rental, a fairly new 2008 Mz5.

mazda 3 Sport also seem to blow the rear shock once in a while. Shock will not upset alignment.

dealer said he's seeing a lot of these. yet when i told them on monday i was bringing it in on thursday and would they please have shocks in stock, they said "no we have to see the car first". sure enough, no shocks in stock, now i've been without my car since yesterday morning.

they better have it done soon, i need to leave for VT in 2 hours.

dealer said he's seeing a lot of these. yet when i told them on monday i was bringing it in on thursday and would they please have shocks in stock, they said "no we have to see the car first". sure enough, no shocks in stock, now i've been without my car since yesterday morning.

Did they get you a loaner? Put some miles on the thing :D

This is the stupidest reason ever........ Shocks take minutes to replace not days. They should at least be able to get them overnight. Ahhh.... Oh Well it's just your life they inconvience.

I have been wondering about this issue myself, as my shocks/struts seem very weak lately. I have not noticed any fluid leakage, but what I have noticed, is how the vehicle gets unsettled very easily over certain bumps. 42k miles so far.

I have been wondering about this issue myself, as my shocks/struts seem very weak lately. I have not noticed any fluid leakage, but what I have noticed, is how the vehicle gets unsettled very easily over certain bumps. 42k miles so far.

Funny thing I have seen the Right Rear more so give out on the 5. You may hear noise before fluid leaks externally. I think the handling may be the first over bumps as shocks are designed to keep your rubber on the road.

my shock croaked at 19k miles. it must have been bad for a while, cuz wow, the car feels really good.

my shock croaked at 19k miles. it must have been bad for a while, cuz wow, the car feels really good.

Goot to know!

I'm getting close to that number, it should blow at any minute now, LOL ;)

J/k, do you happen to have the part number? I know is a simple shock absorber, but just in case :D

Thanks!

No probs, I did not find the part number but the onlinemazdaparts site has it and shows their pricing. If it happens after I run out of warranty (Dec 2009) then it will not be a crazy expense anyway (shrug)

Collision Catalog - 2006 - Mazda - Mazda5
Rear suspension, Suspension components, Shock absorber, Shock absorber Back MSRP $89.76 Your price: $71.81

Back