Blown engine problems

hvaserv

I recently installed a used 04' 2.3 engine in a 05' mazda 3 and having problems getting the engine timed. After installation I recieved code p0340-cmp sensor fault and vehicle ran poor, in addition the was what sounded like valve rattle upon acceleration at idle. Swaped over cam sensors and found cams missaligned. Re timed engine without timing tool (on order) and vehicle ran much better. However I now recieve code p0012- timing over retard. I have timed these engines before using improvised alignment tools with no problem. Also swaped out the old cam actuator and oil control valve. Any suggestions please.

The tool should be in on Monday..will wait till then. Also, the crank sensor is slotted and adjustable. It was moved and I don't see any adjustment procedure in alldata. I imagine this has to throw off the timing also?

yeah it can be moved but i think its only +/- 3* or so so its not really much in scheme of things.

okay. I got the tools and timed it correctly. Still getting code p0012 and ocasionally p0850-park/neutral input. Tried going in both directions with the crank sensor still same code.

I finally got code p0012 to go away after disconnecting the battery for 10 minutes and swaping over the cam sensor AGAIN. Dont get it..but the code has gone away. p/n code was bad switch connection. All is well in the world again. Yes the cam timing was off..those tools are very presise and worth the money.

yeah thats what i have heard. i also understand that if you change your flywheel out you have to retime it and need those tools so i am taking it to the dealer if i can ever scrape the $$ together to get it changed. they quoted me 550 or something. (new flywheel and clutch)

there is a 6mm bolt holt behind the crank pulley and if you line up the cam shafts with a straight edge you can get ignition timing dead on. I am a master mazda tech and all our tools consist of is a straight edge across the cams and a bolt that threads through the pulley into the block

hvaserv, im doing the same swap tomorrow. i bought a used 04 engine off an automatic and putting it in my 04 manual. did you have a lot of trouble installing the engine, and any advice?

garfeild, if you can wait until monday, i can post what you need for timing yoru engine without sst tools from mazda. I work for mazda and have done these engines on the side without the ssts. I will post first thign monday if i can but don tbe discouraged it can be done!

now that i've put my engine back together i'm having a problem with the idling its just not idling any idea what the problem might be? do you think its the ignition timing?

Back