Changed Transmission Fluid

B16RacerN2NR

:
2006 Mazda 5
Ok, so after getting the run around from Jiffy Lube and Ford (my local Mazda dealer moved a half hour away a few months ago) I decided to do the drain and fill on my transmission myself. I went to them because I was going to pay for the complete fluid exchange but they suck so I had to take matters into my own hands :D

I used Castrol Mercon V and Slick 50 ATF Treatment. My step dad has been using it for a few years in my parents Murano and he likes it a lot so I figure since i'm not going to be able to get the fluid out the torque converter, i'll try the Slick 50 stuff since it 'claims' to restore some viscosity to the old fluid.

I'd say about 3 quarts or so drained out. The milk jug I drained the fluid into was almost 3/4 full and I spilled about 1/4 quart to 1/2 quart (bang)(bang)(bang)

The Slick 50 came in a 15 ounce (just 1 ounce shy of half a quart) bottle so I filled the transmission with that and 2 and 1/2 quarts of Castrol ATF.

I drove for a bit and holy hell does the transmission shift smoother :) However, I did notice that there is a 'slight' delay between gear shifts. The indictor will show the next number gear and then it'll shift. The delay isn't long though. No longer than half a second, if even that long. The engine doesn't 'rev up' between the transmission shifting gears so that's a good sign. It's like you see the gear indicator go to the next gear and it doesn't shift insync with the the indicator, it shifts right after the number changes on the indicator.

So my question is, am I mistaking this 'slight delay' in the transmission being much smoother now? Or do you think i'm still a little low on fluid?

I couldn't really sit there and check the level because my girlfriend needed the car to go to work and the Slick 50 stuff is sorta thick so it was still in the dipstick tube and would ruin the reading on the dip stick when I pulled it out. I let her take it to work because I know for a fact i'm not too low on fluid to where I should worry about driving the car.

Last edited:
What color was the fluid that you drained out? Any hint of brown?

I've replaced fluid in quite a few trannies... you need to do it at least 4 times to get a decent amount of new fluid in there. I haven't looked at the capacity for the 5 ATX, but I can assure you, the torque converter is holding quite a bit of the old stuff.

This is why you need to get a flush, or find out how to pump it all out.

It was black with a hint of red. Like a dark, dirty red. No brown thank god :D My girlfriend just got back and i'm gonna go check it out in a bit...

The tranny and torque converter combined hold 7.8 quarts of fluid. I drained almost half. I'm gonna do another drain and fill on my next oil change ~3500 more miles...

Last edited:
Just checked it... Looks good. Overall still pink but it's obvious that it mixed with the old fluid that was still in the torque converter. It was a little above the mid point between the low and full mark, I added another 1/4 quart and it's good to go :D

I drove for a bit and holy hell does the transmission shift smoother :) However, I did notice that there is a 'slight' delay between gear shifts. The indictor will show the next number gear and then it'll shift. The delay isn't long though. No longer than half a second, if even that long. The engine doesn't 'rev up' between the transmission shifting gears so that's a good sign. It's like you see the gear indicator go to the next gear and it doesn't shift insync with the the indicator, it shifts right after the number changes on the indicator.

So my question is, am I mistaking this 'slight delay' in the transmission being much smoother now? Or do you think i'm still a little low on fluid?

I had my fluid flushed at my Mazda dealer- I feel the same response as you do with the shifting. The gear indicator will change just before the very smooth shift occurs. Sounds normal to me. It is definitely an improvement in shift feel! Good job on getting it done yourself! :)

I had my fluid flushed at my Mazda dealer- I feel the same response as you do with the shifting. The gear indicator will change just before the very smooth shift occurs. Sounds normal to me. It is definitely an improvement in shift feel! Good job on getting it done yourself! :)
OK, at least i'm not the only one who noticed this 'delay' :)

Did you get the complete fluid exchange or just a drain and fill? I just did a drain and fill.

The gear indicator always shows next "ready" gear before actual shifting.

The delay interval didn't change before or after ATF change for me.

Hey Guys,
You can flush the fluid out of your torque converter at home. I used to do it on my 850 Volvo all the time, and an a couple of other cars I had.

Here are some instructions for the Volvo:

http://www.ipdusa.com/uploads/sku_files/7945_INST.PDF

You can see that this procedure will work with any car using external trans cooling lines. FYI, the kit that they talk about included a new o-ring, a replacment hose clamp and a length of clear plastic tube.

Yeah, and so does just dumping three bottles into the pan when there are 5 to 7 more still in the torque converter.

With this method you flush until the the fluid comes out clean, which is what a flush machine is going to do when you take it to the dealer.

Similar to my Saab method. I used to dixconnect the ignition module and just turn the engine with the starter. I also applied pressure to the system.

Back