Shaving Mz3 Sides

rayarnold

:
2008.5 Mazda3 Touring Sedan
I'm debating whether or not to remove the side molding/badges from my sedan. I've seen pics of the copper red mica with clean sides and it looks really nice, but I'm worried about dings from other car doors. Has anyone that has removed the molding noticed any dings in the area around where the molding was? I know this is kind of a dumb question, but my last car was so banged up from people slamming their SUV doors into the sides of my car. Actually, that would be another good question: are the side moldings too low to protect my car from SUV doors hitting it?

Do it. The door moldings on our cars are situated far too low to protect against 95% of door dings. I got a few ABOVE the moldings when I first got my car and it convinced me that they were not worth it.

Smooooth. ;)

6.jpg

This has convinced me at least, I'm pulling mine off this weekend, right before I give my baby a wash.

By the way, I love that color of blue.

Why thank ya. :)

Another one to convince (pre-lip though)...

1.jpg

wanna trade cars LaraW??? (glare)

The mouldings look better off on the sedan than the hatch. thats why I still have them on my speed but took them off on my 07 3i.

No, it is not hard to take them off. Wait for a nice hot day, take some fishing string or dental floss.... slip it over the edge, run it through slowly until you can get your finger underneath the lip. Then, simply pull. SLOWLY. The slower you go, the more adhesive comes off the door with the molding. If some stays on there, no worries, just rub it off with your fingers. Make sure to clean it up afterwards, and apply some wax as well, for good measure.

No, it is not hard to take them off. Wait for a nice hot day, take some fishing string or dental floss.... slip it over the edge, run it through slowly until you can get your finger underneath the lip. Then, simply pull. SLOWLY. The slower you go, the more adhesive comes off the door with the molding. If some stays on there, no worries, just rub it off with your fingers. Make sure to clean it up afterwards, and apply some wax as well, for good measure.

Man, do I wish I had read this before I did mine yesterday. It was a hot day, but I didn't pull slowly, I just ripped those jokers off as soon as I got my fingers under it. So much of that adhesive was left on my car, it took about an hour and half to two hours to get the rest off. There's even still a tad bit left on that I'm going to rub away when I get home from work.

Take his advice, PULL SLOW!

Or you can use a blow dryer to warm them up and loosen up the adhesive (heat gun is best if you have one). There is a U tube video on how to do this. It is funny!

I saw a five door, I think it was an 08, yesterday that had it off I didn't like it, it didn't look bad but it just looked unfinished and too long... it was just odd it also had a aftermarket paint job and was pink so that might have been why.

I just took mine off.
I think it looks amazing.

I took pictures I hadn't wash'd her yet so you might be able to see where they came off.
mazda002.jpg

mazda001.jpg

mazda004.jpg

mazda005.jpg

It was SOOOO easy to take off there was nothing left for me to clean up.
I used a hair dryer and let it sit at the start for about 2 minutes it came off in about 30 sec. I started at the back on the back door starting from the point is easy my car looks so good I love it.

So, as I promised in another thread, here are the post-rain driven pictures of my car with the side moldings taken off.

Sorry about the darkness, it's the perfect time of night to be a PITA for taking pictures, too bright for the flash to do much, but too dark to not be able to use it. As you can see, I washed my car yesterday, and as the rule goes, it pissed rain today (almost every day in Florida). So it's a tad dirty now, but hopefully this should give other hatchback owners an idea to how it looks. I'm pretty happy with it myself.

IMG_1010.jpg

On, second thought, two of the pictures were too dark to tell anything at all. So I'll just post them tommorrow.

Back