Oil Pan leak

Old Rotor

:
2004 RX-8 & 2016 Mazda CX-5
I have a '08 Touring with 3.9K miles. I have seen small drops of oil on the garage floor and told the dealer when I brought it in for a oil change. He said the oil pan gasket needs replacing. I have been watching the dip stick and it was down one half quart. He said he needs it for about 3hrs for the repair. Any one else looking at drops?

did you just get the oil changed recently? i know the yahoos at the place i go to make a mess (and don't clean it up) and i get oil drops for few days after i get a change.

No that was the first time. I noticed the leak within the first month I bought the car. Very small it only lost a half quart in six months.

Last edited:
I just changed the oil on my '08 Touring Ed. and noticed some oil leaking (from the Pan gasket?). I'm going to watch it to see if it continues or not.

I just changed the oil on my '08 Touring Ed. and noticed some oil leaking (from the Pan gasket?). I'm going to watch it to see if it continues or not.

Bring it in the next time you need a oil change and tell them of the leak and you will get a free oil change, if it's leaking.

Uh-oh sounds like someone at the factory had the wrong torque setting on the wrench.(nailbyt) Maybe it's a 2008 issue?

Wouldn't be the first time it has happened.

I bet Mazda is looking at it already making sure they catch it early. Hello Mazda.....

actually, mazda knows of this and its from the back corner of the pan because of the pan itself. I do most of these within 2 hours easily, but your dealer may take more time. We see more oil leaks from the pans on the 06-08 2.3s in the mazda 6. Tell your dealer to reseal it shoudlnt be a problem unless you have a branded waranty.

I had my '06 in for an oil change in April (24,000 km) and their tech found a small leak at the oil pan also. I'm sure this is something Mazda is aware of and their tech's always check for it because I've never seen any oil on my driveway. I always appreciate it when they catch problems before it gets bad...especially if it's under warranty, otherwise I think it would've been $300 (eekdance).

mazda is really good about fixing things that are just seeping, as compared to gm with it has to drip 3 times in 15 seconds to be considered for waranty - junk

mazda is really good about fixing things that are just seeping, as compared to gm with it has to drip 3 times in 15 seconds to be considered for waranty - junk

Is this REALLY the criteria for a GM repair? (screwy) Is this for a hot or cold engine?

Back