unexplained engine dying!

BLACKOUT

:
Mazda 5 touring
was wanting to know if anyone has had this problem with their mazda 5 it would be the touring AT. Today going to pick up my wife had a slight hesitation from first to second felt like it wanted to die but didn't and then about three blocks later going around a little corner the car just up and died on me(uhm). No signs of what happened all the lights that would be just as if you were first starting it up put the car back in park shut the car off and waited a couple of seconds, turned the car back on and everything seemed just fine. so I continued to pick up the wife noticed a slight hestitation again but nothing after that, took it to the dealership. They hooked it up to the computer system and ended up with no code or anything showing that there was an issue.Have any of you ever had this issue, was wondering if anyone had any suggestions.Also there is another question, has anyone that has an AT that the car has wanted to roll back on a hill and when you push the gas it acts like it wants to die.

check the thermostat or have them check it. two mazda5s have died at my old dealership due to the thermostat sticking.

There was an ECU reflash that was supposed to address this problem.

Was the engine cold/still warming up?

Here is the TSB I am referring to.

http://www.mstore2000.com/PDF_Files/01-008-08-1914.pdf

Here is a previous thread that explains a bit more.

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123697113

no the engine was at normal runnig temp and i've seen those TSB's you are referring to and i thought i might have that problem but i havn't had anything happing for over a year so i'm lost on thats going on and i will see about the thermostat sticking.thanks and anymore insight will be great

I had this exact thing happen to me with my 5 just today! There was no indication of anything wrong, it just died when I slowed down to make a right turn.

How miles are on the car? Where do you fill up? Could be something as easy as a fuel filter or injector on the fritz.

How miles are on the car? Where do you fill up? Could be something as easy as a fuel filter or injector on the fritz.

Good point, also I've been thinking, happened to my Hon-duh Civic once when merging into the highway (rant) and the problem came back to a faulty ignition relay which was changed by the dealer a couple of days earlier due to a recall (how ironic)...

In my case, none of that would be the underlying cause. I have less then 30k kms (18k miles) on my 5, and as much as I'd like to believe in "bad" gas that's not likely.

Last edited:

well i will be hitting 30k by the end of the month and i fill up at chevron all the time i get the best gas mileage there. also the oil has been changed at mazda just last month ans its still in good color and full (dunno)

Did they diag with the engine running?

Sounds like a Crankshaft Position Sensor - CKP

Attachments

• WM_01_ENG_Stall_Diag.pdf
    158.5 KB · Views: 614
Last edited:
Wife told me ours did that at a stop light. That was the first and only time it has done that. Keep us posted.

This sort of thing has happened to a bunch of Saab owners (back when I was in that group). If it was the ignition, we would get misfire codes. Random dying without codes was related to the Crank Position Sensor.

yes they did, he hooked up to something to check for a code but it didn't have a code showing that something happened

I have a 2008 GT and have had similar problems, car kept driving very rough and stalling in certain situations. To make a long story short, Mazda tracked it down to a bad/frayed ground wire, they tried to fix it but then needed to replace the entire wiring harness ($1,500 but it was covered under warranty). BTW, the car has 2,000 miles.

just an update haven't had anymore problems as of yet but thanks for everybodys input and i will keep you all posted.

i have seen a few issues like this, some are from a stuck pruge valve and when coming to a stop it is stuck open and goes to lean and dies. Also ahve seen if people when filling their mazdas keep going till it fills the filler neck, it fills the charcoal canister and goes directly into the engine during pruge and drops idle to nothing. Main thing i have seen is fuel pumps when voltage surges when coming to a stop cuts out. Let your dealership look at it again or PM me and i can get some info from MS3 for you

i have seen a few issues like this, some are from a stuck pruge valve and when coming to a stop it is stuck open and goes to lean and dies. Also ahve seen if people when filling their mazdas keep going till it fills the filler neck, it fills the charcoal canister and goes directly into the engine during pruge and drops idle to nothing. Main thing i have seen is fuel pumps when voltage surges when coming to a stop cuts out. Let your dealership look at it again or PM me and i can get some info from MS3 for you

thanks for the info but at this time i still haven't had anymore problems till i have another issue i will goto the dealer and ask them of course

Back