A/C Compressor - Gone at 40k?

mazdadude

ZOOOOOOOOOM ZOOOOOOOOOM
:
'16.5 Mazda CX-5 Touring
Well, sure enough just last week, I was telling someone that their A/C was normal to cycle on-off every 10 seconds. Now I am not so sure...

While I was driving on the freeway, I started to smell a "clutch" smell. Since our Mazda5 is an automatic, I immediately dismissed it as another vehicle, or as overheated semi-truck /trailer brakes. About 30 seconds later, the smell became a burning plastic smell, and I started becoming concerned. At the next stoplight, a large cloud of white smoke/gas came out from under the front passenger wheelwell area. Now I was pretty sure that it was my car that was making the stink, but I didn't put 2+2 together until the car suddenly became hot and stuffy inside. Sure enough, pressing the A/C button does nothing, and now there is a clanging and clattering coming from the lower engine bay. The A/C compressor blew, and as it so happens, our beloved Mazda5 is in the shop right now to replace the compressor, and related parts.

Not sure why it had to happen during our 110+ degree weather? I guess thats life.(nuts) However, thank goodness the car is still under Mazda warranty, at least for a few more miles.(nailbyt)

bummer!

...and i decided to not take mine to the shop, based on the reassurance i got from several users here. this might be a flukey, isolated incident though.

you'll have it back in no time - let us know, if you would, what your mechanic says regarding the frequency of the condenser cycling. i'd really apprecite it!

thanks,

-j

...and i decided to not take mine to the shop, based on the reassurance i got from several users here. this might be a flukey, isolated incident though.

you'll have it back in no time - let us know, if you would, what your mechanic says regarding the frequency of the condenser cycling. i'd really apprecite it!

thanks,

-j

Yes, I will update when I get the car back. For what it is worth, the service adviser did say he had seen one other Mazda5 that ate an A/C compressor also.

Damn, mazdadude, I hope that does not change your perception of Mazda cars and get a KIA next, LOL. best of luck with the warranty...

ofplon, I hope this is an isolated case and not related. As you mentioned, many owners have expressed the on/off issue happening to their cars. After all I own 2, and one is an 06 bought in 2005, kind of the experimental model :D...

I know on alot of cars the compressor will start to cycle frequently if you are low on freon. You know how you have to have the ac running when putting in freon, I've seen them start to cycle more slowly while I was putting more freon in to get it back up to pressure.

Damn, mazdadude, I hope that does not change your perception of Mazda cars and get a KIA next, LOL. best of luck with the warranty...

No perception change here, as this is the first real failure I have had. Yes there have been a couple annoyances, but I still love it.

scary. I hope my compressor does not die. we are still to navigate thru the 'hills' of Montana on my way home up north of the border.. lolz. The AC was on all the time during the drive from L.A. to Helena. No problem so far.
I did have to set the fan speed to 'maximum' to reach the passengers in the third row. The tint worked well with additional pull down sun shades.

The second row seat on my '08 have great A/C flow thanks to the second row A/C vents even the third row gets A/C now.

Last edited:
The dealer changed out the defective A/C compressor, changed the A/C belt, and flushed and refilled the r-134a.

The new A/C compressor has more engine drag than the older one, and the A/C does not feel as good (cold) as it did before. Maybe 75% as cold?

On a positive note, the A/C compressor is very quiet, and I do not hear or feel the A/C compressor engage on/off as I did before.

I know on alot of cars the compressor will start to cycle frequently if you are low on freon. You know how you have to have the ac running when putting in freon, I've seen them start to cycle more slowly while I was putting more freon in to get it back up to pressure.

Wait a second - where did you get that avatar?

The dealer changed out the defective A/C compressor, changed the A/C belt, and flushed and refilled the r-134a.

The new A/C compressor has more engine drag than the older one, and the A/C does not feel as good (cold) as it did before. Maybe 75% as cold?

On a positive note, the A/C compressor is very quiet, and I do not hear or feel the A/C compressor engage on/off as I did before.

It might just be tight now and will loosen up in time.

Hmmm... Doesn't seem to jive with what should be happening...

INSPECT A/C MAGNETIC CLUTCH OPERATION
Note

The following test should be performed for
the A/C. Go to the next step for vehicles
without A/C
Turn the fan switch off.
Is the magnetic clutch still on?
Yes Go to A/C ALWAYS ON / A/C COMPRESSOR RUNS
CONTINUOUSLY. of ENGINE SYMPTOM
TROUBLESHOOTING then go to step 9.
(See 01031 ENGINE SYMPTOM TROUBLESHOOTING
[L8, LF].)
No Go to the next step.

23 A/C DOES NOT WORK SUFFICIENTLY.
DESCRIPTION​
A/C compressor magnetic clutch does not engage when the A/C switch is turned on.

POSSIBLE CAUSE​
Improper refrigerant charging amount

Open circuit A/C magnetic clutch

Open circuit in wiring harness between A/C relay and A/C magnetic clutch

Poor GND of A/C magnetic clutch

Refrigerant pressure switch is stuck open.

A/C relay is stuck open.

Seized A/C compressor

Open circuit in wiring harness between A/C switch and PCM through both refrigerant pressure switch

and A/C amplifier

Back