Powered Hatch operation

Can someone please tell me under what circumstances the power hatch should open with the advanced keyless entry? I also have the remote start.

When I remote start it, the keyless remote won't open the hatch.
When the vehicle is locked and not cranked my wife said it wouldn't open.
If we physically open the door and unlock all the doors with the door switch, then the keyless remote will open the hatch.

I'm sure are over complicating it, but she just wants to know how to open the hatch with the keyless remote when she is rolling up with a cart full of groceries.

Thanks.

You have to hit the unlock button twice and then the hatch button to open it.
It won't open unless all the doors are unlocked.
Same as the internal button.
Kind of a pain, because I always forget to hit the unlock button prior to opening the back hatch.

Just went out and tried it and it worked. Not sure what my wife did but she said she thought she had unlocked all the doors.

Maybe she wasn't close enough? I know we could unlock our BMW from across a parking lot. In looking at the user manual it's a little confusing. It says it only operated from 2'6" away. I think that is the range the keyless entry has to be when you push the button on the door handle. Not sure what the actual range is when you use the unlock on the advanced keyless entry.

Just went out and tried it and it worked. Not sure what my wife did but she said she thought she had unlocked all the doors.

Maybe she wasn't close enough? I know we could unlock our BMW from across a parking lot. In looking at the user manual it's a little confusing. It says it only operated from 2'6" away. I think that is the range the keyless entry has to be when you push the button on the door handle. Not sure what the actual range is when you use the unlock on the advanced keyless entry.

I've noticed that the distance you are for unlocking the doors, seems to differ significantly to the distance you can be from the car to unlock the hatch. It doesn't make sense, but that seems to be the case.

You can be pretty far from the car and unlock the doors but....you have to be pretty close (within 20 feet or so) to use the rear hatch unlock button.

Also, you have to press the Door unlock button twice, and within 1 second, press the hatch unlock button.

Last edited:
Well, I've managed to get the hatch to open fine except when I crank it with the remote start. Even when I press the unlock on the keyless remote and all doors are unlocked, the hatch will only beep but not open. I can manually open it just fine so it is unlocked. Please don't tell me I can't power the hatch with the engine running or the after using the remote start.

Solution?

I'm having the same exact problem.

Actually, I can't seem to unlock all the doors either after using the remote start. If I hit the unlock button twice on the keys before remote starting, everything is fine.

As soon as I hit the remote start, it looks the passenger doors and hatch, and I haven't found a way to unlock them... or open the power lift gate for that matter.

Is this something that can be reprogrammed by the dealer? Did you find a solution?

You have to hit the unlock button twice and then the hatch button to open it.
It won't open unless all the doors are unlocked.
Same as the internal button.
Kind of a pain, because I always forget to hit the unlock button prior to opening the back hatch.

No kidding. I thought the value in having a power hatch was the ability to walk up and hit a button on the car with one finger with an armful of stuff and have it open. Nope. That's too much common sense. You need to make sure you have your keyfob in hand before you pick up that armful of stuff, press the unlock button twice and then hold down the tailgate button to get it to work. Make sure you plan ahead because a simple press of a button on the tailgate isn't going to open the hatch even though you have the keyfob in your pocket. My CX-9 never ceases to annoy me :mad:

No kidding. I thought the value in having a power hatch was the ability to walk up and hit a button on the car with one finger with an armful of stuff and have it open. Nope. That's too much common sense. You need to make sure you have your keyfob in hand before you pick up that armful of stuff, press the unlock button twice and then hold down the tailgate button to get it to work. Make sure you plan ahead because a simple press of a button on the tailgate isn't going to open the hatch even though you have the keyfob in your pocket. My CX-9 never ceases to annoy me :mad:

Why do you need the keyfob in hand? You just need to hit the unlock button on the tailgate door followed by the door-open button. Yes it's two hits with your one finger; but it isn't as complicated as your description.

-Jeff

Back