Oil Change on Speed6

mazda3Txboy

:
06' Titanium Metallic II MS6
Anyone have a link on how to change the oil on the speed6?? im not real comfortable with the weird filter they come with.. tnx -J

theres a whole thread about it in the speed 3 section on this forum..its the same thing for us..check it out.(hitit2)

How-To Change The Oil on a Mazda 6i

by Steve036i

Reason: As part of general maintance of your Mazda 6, your oil should be changed every 4,000 to 7,500 miles, depending on your driving style/environment. Failure to adhere to regular oil changes will void your engine's warranty, as per the Mazda 6 Manual. This article covers changing your oil on the Mazda 6i.

Tools Required:

10mm Socket
17mm Socket
3/8" Drive Ratchet
3" or 6" 3/8 Drive Extension
1/4" (.250) T-Handled allen wrench
76mm Oil Filter Socket (Or a Strap Wrench)
Medium Phillips Screwdriver
Oil Catch Pan

Parts Required:

5w-20 or 5w-30 oil. (For recommendations check out the UOA section)
Replacement Oil Filter Cartiage and O-rings.

Support.JPG

Step 1: Set parking brake, and block rear wheels. Raise and support the vehicle by using ramps or axle stands. Always test the vehicles stability before going beneath the car.

UCRear.JPG

UCside.JPG

UCLast.JPG

Step 2: Remove the undercover. Start by removing the seven 10mm bolts that hold the cover in place. The cover will remain in place held by a small plastic screw as shown. Remove by a 1/4 turn using a phillips screwdriver. Pull and remove the screw. Pull down on the front of the cover, and slide towards the front of the car. It is very lightweight.

Drain.JPG

Step 3: Drain the Oil. Start by removing the oil filler cap. Then loosen and remove the oil drain plug using a 17mm socket. Drain the oil into a suitable container. When completed, replace the drain plug and tighten.

Carthouse.JPG

Step 4: Cartridge removal. Using a 6.5mm Hex Key, loosen but do not remove the oil filter drain plug. Using the 76mm socket (or strap wrench), loosen the filter cover. Rotate the cover counter clockwise, by hand, 1 full turn. Now remove the oil filter drain plug, and drain the oil. When appropriate, remove the oil filter cover. Note it is spring loaded, so there is always resistance while turning.

Cartassy.JPG

Step 5: Cartridge replacement. Remove and discard the old cartridge and the large O-Ring on the housing and the small O-Ring on the drain plug. Replace with new cartridge and O-Rings, lubricate the O-Rings with fresh motor oil.

Step 6.
Re-Install the filter. Screw back in the cover drain plug, but do not tighten yet. Clean the threads of the cartridge housing, and re-install cartridge cover. There will be some resistance, as the cartridge cover is spring loaded. Carefully thread by hand, till the cover is fully seated against the housing. Using the 76mm socket (or Strap Wrench), tighten the cover to 25.8 ft.lbs.
Finally, tighten the cartridge cover drain pug to 7.3 ft.lbs.

Step 7.
Replace the engine oil. Removing the engine cover makes it easier to clean up spills, but is not necessary. The 6i requires 4.5 quarts of oil when changing the filter cartridge. After adding the oil, start the engine and check for leaks.

Step 8.
Replace the undercover. The rear of the cover has a pair of tabs which support the cover, slide those over the rear cross member. Using the small plastic screw, attach the front of the cover.
Now simply re-align the cover with the boltholes and re-install the seven 10mm bolts.

Lower the car, and check the oil level.

Special thanks to Steve036i for writing this article, as well as providing photos

Last edited:
Back