BYOF Bring Your Own (Oil) Filter? If So - Which Brand?

It's time for my first oil change in my '08 Mz5.

In the past, I usually got my oil changed at my locally (non-chain) "Quickie" Lube or at my trusted Mechanic (unfortunately he's not open on Sunday when I often have the time and I have to make an appointment during working hours, etc.)

Will the local place have my filter? And even if they do, should I just bring my own to insure they don't use a crappy one? I see the filters are pretty cheap - I don't mind bringing it if it insures a better one.

And if I do bring my own filter should be the OEM filter or is there a higher quality aftermarket one available?

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Mark

Last edited:
You can bring a OEM, WIX or Purolator are all pretty good. In purolators I personally go with the Pureone filter myself. Wix is also sold as store brand filters so you can pick up a NAPA gold or go to Carquest they also have wix in a carquest box. FYI the Pureone I bought for the 5 cost $8 I think, NAPA and carquest will charge about the same for a Wix filter.

I use the OEM ones. I've also used the NAPA-labeled WIX and the Purolator PureOne. Both the NAPA/Wix and the Purolator have deformed filter pleats upon removal, whereas the OEM does not. It's not huge deformation, but it's distinct and causes me a little concern about cracks/holes developing in the pleats where they've deformed. It really kind of looks like the filters are just slightly too long, but that doesn't make a whole lot of sense given how the bypass mechanism works on these cartridge arrangements. It could be a little too much friction on the end caps? I don't know for certain, I just know they're deformed (twisted-looking) when I take them out.

OEM for me, and a good price from a Mazda dealer I do business with.

Just did my oil again. Got a FRAM at Walmart. They never use to carry the 2.3 filter but it must be new. Not real cheap... 8 something it cost.

I would honestly do it myself. its cheaper and easier and itsa good time to inspect the car.

once you do it a few times you can have it done faster then the amoutn of time it woudl take you to drive to one of those places.

I prefer fram for all my cars.

Thanks one and all for sharing your thoughts - I'll bring my own.

(And if I still had my own driveway, I'd do it myself.)

Back