Mazda 5 Suspension

:
Mazda 5 GT
I thought I would share this description of the MZ5 Suspension
design. (Cut and paste from the workshop manual). It should
partly explain how we get 'zoom-zoom', 'precise steering',
'fun to drive' experience. I

FRONT LOWER ARM CONSTRUCTION

An oil-filled bushing has been adopted for the backside of the front lower arm. Due to this, superior handling
stability and riding comfort, and low NVH (Noise, Vibration, Harshness) have been achieved.

FRONT SHOCK ABSORBER CONSTRUCTION

Excellent response shock absorbers with large-diameter pistons and built-in rebound springs which suppress
inner wheel lifting during cornering have been adopted for improved riding comfort and handling stability.
Separated input type front shock absorber mounts have been adopted. Due to this, the shock absorbers
function efficiently, improving steering stability and riding comfort.
In addition, to reduce shock absorber inner friction that occurs when lateral force acts on the shock absorbers,
the coil springs have been optimally positioned.

FRONT CROSSMEMBER CONSTRUCTION

A four-point rubber mount system has been adopted for the front crossmember. Due to this, the application of
preload in the vertical direction has improved rigidity providing enhanced handling stability, and the utilization of
horizontal flexibility has improved riding comfort.

REAR SUSPENSION OUTLINE

An E-type multi-link rear suspension has been adopted.
A wider luggage compartment is ensured due to the separated positioning of the shock absorber and coil
spring.
Also due to the separated positioning of the shock absorber and coil spring, side force on the shock absorber is
reduced so that the suspension system operates smoothly and riding comfort is improved.

MULTI-LINK REAR SUSPENSION CONSTRUCTION

Optimized Link and Shock Absorber Layout
Optimized camber angle
Change of camber angle to ground during wheel stroke is minimized due to the optimization of the lower and
upper arm lengths. Due to this high gripping power is assured under any driving condition and handling stability
is improved.

Optimized roll axis position
Lateral force acting on the shock absorbers is reduced due to the separated positioning of the rear coil spring
and shock absorber, enabling smooth operation of the suspension system and thereby improving riding
comfort.
Additionally, the height of the front roll center is set lower than the rear. Due to this, driveability is improved

REAR SHOCK ABSORBER CONSTRUCTION

Monotube shock absorbers with superior damping characteristics such as response have been adopted,
improving handling stability and riding comfort.
Chambers that are gas-pressurized via a free piston have been equipped to provide excellent oil cooling
capability and minimized cavitation. Due to this, stable damping force is provided.

REAR CROSSMEMBER CONSTRUCTION

Due to the use of a hollow-steel construction rear crossmember, weight reduction is achieved while rigidity is
improved.
The rear crossmember is tightly connected to the vehicle body in six points, ensuring high rigidity.

Are these improvements/changes from previous designs? It kinda sounds like that to me... I have an '08, and it really does feel quieter and smoother than my '06 did.

Back