The USDM 08 MZ5 TPMS actually works...

coolmazda5

Contributor
:
2008 Mazda5 5MT Sport w/ Popular Package
I know, a dumb post, but yesterday the light along with a loud beep came up. The tires were just rotated the same day so I thought they've messed with the sensors.

But nope, a nail got in the way of my tire and was taking the PSIs out slowly (rant)...

Tire pressure was around 15 PSIs, put it back to 36 last thing at night but today in the morning beeped again. This time tire pressure was around 22...

Tire is patched so no light anymore...

I know, a dumb post, but yesterday the light along with a loud beep came up. The tires were just rotated the same day so I thought they've messed with the sensors.

But nope, a nail got in the way of my tire and was taking the PSIs out slowly (rant)...

Tire pressure was around 15 PSIs, put it back to 36 last thing at night but today in the morning beeped again. This time tire pressure was around 22...

Tire is patched so no light anymore...

prolly got the nail at the tire place (headshake

^^ I darkly thought that too but the times for the tire to lose air the 2 times did not match with the service so my guess it was a back road I took...

Also, it was at the dealer. I bought my car there so apart from free oil change for the lifetime of the vehicle I got, they patched the tire for peanuts and very quick (they got the car right in although it was Saturday).

Regardless, I hope they don't make business out of tire patching ;)

How do you know if your vehicle has tpms? Our Freestar does and it has a light on the dash at startup. I've never seen the tire Pressure light on the Mazda come on at startup? I've heard TPMS is required on all vehilces from
'08 on?

^^ It is the law in the US as of cars built on or after Sept 2007. I'm not sure about Canada.

And yes, the light comes up when starting up for few seconds.... and it beeps obnoxiously for few more if a tire has low pressure, LOL

I found an article:
http://www.tireindustry.org/features/Making_Time_TPMS.asp

the federal government has passed legislation that mandates TPMS on every vehicle under 10,000 lbs GVWR starting September 2007. It’s not an option for consumers who purchase new vehicles after that date, nor is it an option for tire dealers and service providers who install or repair passenger and light truck tires

Changed the thread title a little to avoid confusion, oops (boom06)

I thought all '08s had it and '06s and '07s with the nav system had it.

we have it on our '06 and its warned us a few times. The stock tires used to bleed air relatively quickly (a couple of weeks to get down to 22-24 psi), the new tires we had installed hold their air much better.

I thought all '08s had it and '06s and '07s with the nav system had it.

we have it on our '06 and its warned us a few times. The stock tires used to bleed air relatively quickly (a couple of weeks to get down to 22-24 psi), the new tires we had installed hold their air much better.

Don't think that's available for Canadian Model, but I sure hope I'm wrong....

The only feature we have that's not seen in the US is the higher price tag (chair)(and DRL but I don't think many people find that interesting anyway).

Bad news: Picked up a nail on Friday
Good news: TPMS works like it should
Bad news: only 2200 miles on the car so far.
Good news: Slow leak, didn't have to change spare
Bad news: Too close to sidewall, $145 :(

Discount tire originally wanted $170+ for replacement, mounting, etc with the stock Toyo tire, while he was looking everything up I called the dealership and they quoted me with $140 + tax. I was able to use that leverage to get Discount tire down to $143.50 out the door.

Still, it really sucks to have to buy a new tire when the car is barely broken in!!!!!

Back