08 Mazda5 Alarm System Problems?

08M5GTGSP

:
08 Mazda5 GT w/Sirius Satellite & Autodim Mirror/Compass/Homelnk
I've driven my new 5 nearly a week now, and this morning had something embarrassing happen.
Drove to work just fine - opened my car door to get out, and the alarm went off (horn honking, emergency flashers going). Hitting lock/unlock on the key fob didn't help, nor did putting the key back in the ignition & starting it back up.

It just kept going til it timed itself out & stopped. It even happened while the car was running at a traffic light (cracked the door while at a stop-imagine the looks I got!). And, it happened again, when I got out of the car at the dealer's (took the car straight back to the dealer).

Of course now, the dealer is saying they've tried everything, but can't get the car to do this again. WTF??? Has anyone else experienced this phenomenon? Is this a trend/common problem like the surging/stalling? HELP!!

Update: Even though dealer/svc saw this happen when I got out at the dealer's, they were unable over 2 days to make it happen again. They consulted Mazda Technical Assistance, to no avail. I've had the car back for 2 days now with no problems. WTF??

Hum, has the ca gotten extremely wet recently? I have seen gremlins like this because of a water short before. It should really not happen on a OEM alarm though. Is it OEM? When the car dries then no more short, gets wet, short.

GL

X

Hum, has the ca gotten extremely wet recently? I have seen gremlins like this because of a water short before. It should really not happen on a OEM alarm though. Is it OEM? When the car dries then no more short, gets wet, short.

GL

X

Nope, it's OEM. Has been a little damp in the mornings, but no real rain lately.

6/3/08 - Happened again when stopped at gas station on the way home. It's back at the dealer's and they're on notice that I will not accept the car back until I can be guaranteed this won't happen again.

Last edited:
I've driven my new 5 nearly a week now, and this morning had something embarrassing happen.
Drove to work just fine - opened my car door to get out, and the alarm went off (horn honking, emergency flashers going). Hitting lock/unlock on the key fob didn't help, nor did putting the key back in the ignition & starting it back up.

It just kept going til it timed itself out & stopped. It even happened while the car was running at a traffic light (cracked the door while at a stop-imagine the looks I got!). And, it happened again, when I got out of the car at the dealer's (took the car straight back to the dealer).

Of course now, the dealer is saying they've tried everything, but can't get the car to do this again. WTF??? Has anyone else experienced this phenomenon? Is this a trend/common problem like the surging/stalling? HELP!!

Update: Even though dealer/svc saw this happen when I got out at the dealer's, they were unable over 2 days to make it happen again. They consulted Mazda Technical Assistance, to no avail. I've had the car back for 2 days now with no problems. WTF??

Oh know the feeling very well. Even though my Mazda 5 touring is a 2006 model, I had this happen over the past 8 months, and no neither rain, nor sleet nor hail nor snow has anything to do with the alarm going off. It started after my key fob started to not work if I was further than 10 feet away from the vehicle to open or lock the doors. Got new CR1620 batteries and it never seemed to fully correct itself. It progressively got worse so that when I tried to unlock my car in the garage the lights and horn would go off and I could not stop it. I have even driven the car with the immobilizer warning light ON and yes if I accidentally trigger the auto-door lock inside the car, I will be driving with the alarm lights and horn going and have to just wait it out.
My neighbour (an old car guy) said take the battery out and use the key. I did this however, it continues to alarm at times. It doesn't alarm when I use the remote starter, then insert the key and we are fine. However, good things never last, and the errant horn lights alarming goes off whenever it wants to with the key in the door. The only way I can turn the alarm/horn off is to insert key in lock - turn to the lock position then unlock and the alarm shuts off right away. No one has any suggestions except for the young service consultant at the dealer and he put a new battery in, told me to try that - alarming still - then said to turn the key lock-unlock 4 times and that should reset things - except it didn't, so I am back to square one - Key in the door, unlock - horn and lights - turn key to lock then unlock - horn and lights off. Hope this works for you. If you find a permanent fix, please post for others. I would not let the dealer get away with this in a brand new car ever.

I am interested to see how this all shakes out for you guys. One thing I have noticed that seems to be common to those with this sort of alarm trouble. You all have remote start, and I am assuming it was the Mazda factory item that was installed (probably as a port installed option) I wonder if the remote starter has anything to do with the fact that the car can't seem to fiigure out when a dead key fob battery has been replaced...

Having all the same issues here with a 2008 gt. No remote start, just keyless entry. Just bought the car with a warranty, plan on taking it to a mazda dealership soon to try and see if getting a new key and having it programmed there solves the problem. Old key just broke yesterday anyway.

The alarm going off all the time is driving me nuts. Sometimes its 3 times a week sometimes its 3-5 times a day. Makes no sense.

Last edited:
Having all the same issues here with a 2008 gt. No remote start, just keyless entry. Just bought the car with a warranty, plan on taking it to a mazda dealership soon to try and see if getting a new key and having it programmed there solves the problem. Old key just broke yesterday anyway.

The alarm going off all the time is driving me nuts. Sometimes its 3 times a week sometimes its 3-5 times a day. Makes no sense.

does your keyless entry work when the key is in the ignition and running? cause it shouldn't.

the module might not see the ignition/key sense signal - then when the car locks, the car arms.

Back