Overdrive

Rhon

:
Mazda3 5 Door sTouring, Copper Red Mica
I'm still getting used to how the 3 handles and drives but I've noticed something that is strange to me. With the automatic in 5th if you start to push the on the throttle, it seems to downshift instead of just taking off like it's coming out of another gear. Isn't overdrive 5th or is overdrive on top of it?

Thanks

Is the gearshift indicator light in the instrument pod indicating a downshift to 4th when you press harder on the gas in 5th as you describe? If not, I think what you're experiencing is the torque converter "unlocking", which is normal if you apply light pressure to the accelerator at speed. Otherwise, if so, that's also normal if you're applying heavier pressure to the accelerator at speed.

Now, if you floor it at, say, 55MPH while in 5th, it will probably shift all the way down to 3rd for a moment, then up to 4th for a bit, then 5th, but by that time you'll be doing about 85-90MPH, so I'd let back up on the gas before it gets to that point. ;) (five-0)

As far as the gear ratios, 5th is indeed "overdrive", meaning that for every revolution completed by the axle, the engine driveshaft completes 0.692 of a revolution.

- SR

It's staying in 5th so it's not downshifting the tranny. It must be the TC as you say. It's just feels a little strange. I'm sure it's not an issue other than the operator. I was just wondering.
Thanks for the info.

Back