Mold in PG cluster.

Demi

Bout time we had one of these around here. I think everyone knows how to take this out so i will skip that. I was gonna just give this thing away because of the amount of work i was thinking it was gonnna be, but its not bad. Get one. Do it yourself. If i can you can. This is my first project like this so if someone has a better way, post it. Im not an expert by a long shot. I had an audio shop give me a quote for this exactly and it was $500. We have better things to spend $500 on, so here ya go. Rember if you sand, wash before the next step!!!

You need to remove to flasher button and vents. Heres how.
DSC00294.jpg

Squeeze the clips on the top and bottom and push the button out through the front. Next remove the six screws that hold the vents in.

Weapons of choice.....
DSC00302.jpg

There is 60 second epoxy in the picture, guess what they mean 60 seconds. IIt was dry before i put it together. Use plastic weld. I used the whole bottle and spread it with a plastic knife.
The clamp kit i got from Walmart for 5 bucks. Super sweet.

The Prosport gauges dont clear the stock piece without cutting. I used a dremel. Dont be afraid of this step. The entire piece is covered by the PG part so unless you have a epileptic fit while cutting you will be fine. Both pieces needs scuffed. The OEM part and the bottom of the PG part for the epoxy to hold better, and the top of the PG part for toning down the texture of the cluster (its a bit much to match), and also to help the primer adhere. Wash the piece to get all the dust off.
DSC00303.jpg

Put the Plastic Weld on there LIBERALLY. Used the whole bottle and spread it with a plastic knife. Use two of the big clamps at first, then get it where you want it and throw the rest on. No such thing as too many clamps.
DSC00320.jpg

Mixing bondo takes some practice. This is WAY too much hardener. Too much wont destroy your project or anything it just makes it a time critical ordeal because dries FAST. It should be just a little pink.
DSC00326.jpg

Half this would be ideal.

Bondo applicators dont cost much and help alot.
DSC00331.jpg

This is a bit sloppy, but with Bondo you can always adjust. Let it dry for about ten minutes until its tacky and do your sanding then. If you wait it will just require more sanding. You can use your finger nails and stuff to shave the excess off of places you dont want it.
DSC00334.jpg

This is the most important step and i cant stress this enough. DELEGATE YOUR WORK. Lol
DSC00339.jpg

Start with the 120 grit. Try to look for pits in your bondo work. Sand those out, and if you find that it no longer flows add another layer of bondo. When you have it flowing right follow up with th 260. Dont lose your mind here, because the little scratches and stuff will be handled by the primer.
DSC00338.jpg

After it cures (I gave mine two hours, but if you mix the hardener light give it longer) I hit it with a few layers of primer. Because the bondo is a different color than the piece you will see your mistakes here. Figure out if they are bad enough to warrant more bondo. If not sand the primer and reprimer. Wash rinse and repeat. Little pits and stuff the primer will take care off. Primer and sand primer and sand. Till you like it.
DSC00344.jpg

UP NEXT! PAINT!

DSC00346.jpg

DSC00352.jpg

Here it is with the vents and stuff.

It needs cleaned off again and i need to shave a bit more off the back, but you get the idea.
DSC00362.jpg

The on the back of the PG part the part that goes down hits the dash and has to be shaved. If i were doing it again i would cut it off before starting and just bondo it in.

Last edited:
I tried something like this... not with the gauge pod or anything. But just trying to paint it and make it like a gloss paint. After many hours of sanding..wet sanding.. priming.. painting.. and clear coating. And redoing it a second time. It still turned out like crap in my opinion. So far yours looks 100 times better than mine did lol. So I dont know what I did or didnt do. I really curious to see how this turns out. Regarding mine though.. I might just strip the paint off again and lay some black seude over it?? Hmmm

A good looking assistant who'll get on the floor and get dirty sanding stuff for you? I officially hate you.

No s***!! My girlfriend hates car stuff...freakin hippie painters!

Maybe this kind of mod might get her on board with the car stuff...(hahaspit)...here's for hopin!!:D

Lookd Good.
I would like to see it blended a bit better.
The front is still a bit wavy..But overall....It looks good.

Back