Satellite Radio Install to Factory specs

valgrom

Hi guys,

I just got a '07 CX-9 GT with NAV but no SatRadio. The Nav console does have the "SAT" button and I was wondering if there is a way to purchase and install the sat radio to factory specs. That is, I would like to be able to install the unit and control/view it through my Nav screen and using the steering wheel buttons.

I've searched a bit and found several threads but none exactly answering this question. Anyone have any ideas?

Mike

Thanks and OUCH! 325 plus an "installation kit"...no wonder Sirius and XM can't get people to subscribe. They gouge you for the privilige of gouging you.

Maybe I can find it used somewhere....

Mike

Pain to install too. Youy have to run the antenna all the way to the upper back of the car. I think with MP3 players holding hundreds of songs that are actually what you want to hear, pay radio is already obsolete.

We plug my wife's iPod shuffle in and have more than enough non-stop tunes for even a long trip. amazing that that tiny little thing has 20 CD's on it.

Last edited:
Honestly, I would just get one of the aftermarket radios from XM or Sirius (I think there's a Sirius radio for $29 at Best Buy right or Circuit City right now, which includes the antenna and 12V power adapter). The new ones are almost Ipod size now, and you can plug them into your AUX outlet and the power outlet in the armrest, and you're done. Well, you do have to run the antenna, but in the CX-9 you'll get away by simply putting in on the dashboard near the windshield--that's what I had done in my other car, and it worked very well. You can tuck the thin antenna wire in places you'd never thought it'd fit!

I bought the factory unit off ebay ($125) and installed myself. Did have to get the switchbox to keep AUX input alive. Installation took a few hours to do right (3rd row seat needs to be removed), but overall not so difficult. After I completed the installation I found a post wherre someone installed in antenna inside the rear spoiler. That would have been a good way to go.

Mp3 CD's and ipods are surely great but you won't get new and interesting music into your musical diet with them.

At least for me I don't have a lot of time to find new and different music myself so paying a small fee for it isn't a big deal.

I also installed it on my own. The Sirius install is more tedious than it is difficult in the fact there are numerious interior pieces the directions has you remove such as the 3rd row. But overall I didn't think the Sirius install wasn't hard at all.

Everything plugs into a harness, no wire cutting or splicing. I anticipated possibly breaking a tab on one of the trim pieces I had to remove but that didn't even happen.

Installing the switching box is a slightly different story. The instructions aren't too clear as too where to place it behind the dash. That general area is pretty tight so it takes some work to get the switching box in there and find a suitable location for it. But even then that wasn't all too hard either.

If have some pics of my install I can post if anyone's interested.

Mp3 CD's and ipods are surely great but you won't get new and interesting music into your musical diet with them.

At least for me I don't have a lot of time to find new and different music myself so paying a small fee for it isn't a big deal.

+1 I am always looking for new music

Hi, anyone have the installation instructions for Sirius? Considering DIY approach since the dealer wants $300 to install plus parts. Looks like can get the two parts needed for under $300 on mazdagear.com right? Is everything hidden, nothing sticking out obvious?

Hi, anyone have the installation instructions for Sirius? Considering DIY approach since the dealer wants $300 to install plus parts. Looks like can get the two parts needed for under $300 on mazdagear.com right? Is everything hidden, nothing sticking out obvious?

I'll send you instructions. We also sell the kit, same as Mazdagear, and we sponsor this forum. PM your email for the info.

I installed our StarMate Replay in the lower pocket area of the center console. It looks quite nice. I used the instructions found on this forum to run the wires and everything.

Do you use a separate Sirius unit plugged into the Aux? I have a HUM coming from the speakers (sounds like a bad ground) It gets louder if I adjust the power mirrors, wipers, etc.

I have a separate XM reciever plugged into the AUX jack in the center console. The only time I get a hum is when the XM reciever is off and the AUX/Media is selected on the main head unit.
You could try using an inline filter like the PAC SNI-1/3.5 to eliminate a possible ground loop.

Back