Mazda considering Mazda2 and diesel engines for the U.S.

TinmanMS6

:
2012 Subaru WRX
mazda2_news_us_image.jpg

Weve always been disappointed with reports of Mazda not bringing the Mazda2 to the stateside. But now, a few words by Mazdas North American president, Jim OSullivan, Mazda may be considering the Mazda2 for the North American market along with plans of selling diesel engines in the U.S. market for the first time.

Were not ready to make the announcement but obviously we sell diesels in Europe, OSullivan said during a lunch with reporters in Detroit. The Mazda 2 is extremely successful in Europe and Asia. Were continuing to watch that space in North America.

He said that Mazda is currently dedicated to finishing the launch of the CX-9 and the launch of the redesigned Mazda5 and the new Mazda6.

Mazda previously said that it did not choose to market the Mazda2 in the North American market due to the brands overall perspective. Mazda also felt that there would be no room for the Mazda2 in the U.S. since the Ford Fiesta, which is built on the same platform, will be making its debut in late 2009.

He said that Mazda is currently dedicated to finishing the launch of the CX-9 and the launch of the redesigned Mazda5 and the new Mazda6.

Mazda previously said that it did not choose to market the Mazda2 in the North American market due to the brand’s overall perspective. Mazda also felt that there would be no room for the Mazda2 in the U.S. since the Ford Fiesta, which is built on the same platform, will be making its debut in late 2009.[/QUOTE]

Let's see if Ford lets Mazda do it, the Mazda2 will definitely will be a Fiesta pooper

Launch of the redesigned Mazda5? Hmmm, helloooo! I think Jim missed the news memo from Mazda headquarters... :D

According to an article I read today, we're only getting the Fiesta sedan, though. Bringing the Mazda2 hatches would make a lot of sense in that case.

Mazda 2 would easily be able to fight off the onslaught of Yaris/Fit/Versa sales. It's sexier than all above mentioned and it's got the zoom zoom stigma...i'd hit it

Mazda's usually the first on the market with a hot trend (see Protege5 and Mazda5) but they're kind of late to the party with the Mazda2. Unlike their P5 and Mazda5 launches where they were the first ones out and other manufacturers followed, the small hatch market is already full of Yaris, Fit, Versa, so it will be hard for them to compete.

Mazda's usually the first on the market with a hot trend (see Protege5 and Mazda5) but they're kind of late to the party with the Mazda2. Unlike their P5 and Mazda5 launches where they were the first ones out and other manufacturers followed, the small hatch market is already full of Yaris, Fit, Versa, so it will be hard for them to compete.

IMO the perception of a Mazda2 according to the mainstream consumer in the region where is sold is the main problem:

Europe, Latin America and Asia
Compact, versatile, sporty, trendy, great on gas, easy to park in reduced spaces like downtown Milan or across the street. Owner to be would love owning a top of the line trim or a performance version.

North America
Sub-Compact, usually related to a cheap car, owner perceived as he(she) cannot afford a bigger car or cannot afford a bigger engine due to gas money. Potential owner, instead of buying a top trim, would actually prefer to buy a bigger car (i.e. Mazda3) on a lower trim. Bigger is better or, if with the same money the owner to be can buy a KIA Sportage SUV, it would be more "socially" acceptable than a Mazda2

Now, all this based on my idea that the majority of the members of this forum ARE NOT mainstream car consumers hence the love for the Mazda2

I'm pretty sure that most of the people here, if enthusiastic about Mazdas, until very recently, are more interested in the handling dynamics of a vehicle, rather than huge power.

IMO the perception of a Mazda2 according to the mainstream consumer in the region where is sold is the main problem:

Europe, Latin America and Asia
Compact, versatile, sporty, trendy, great on gas, easy to park in reduced spaces like downtown Milan or across the street. Owner to be would love owning a top of the line trim or a performance version.

North America
Sub-Compact, usually related to a cheap car, owner perceived as he(she) cannot afford a bigger car or cannot afford a bigger engine due to gas money. Potential owner, instead of buying a top trim, would actually prefer to buy a bigger car (i.e. Mazda3) on a lower trim. Bigger is better or, if with the same money the owner to be can buy a KIA Sportage SUV, it would be more "socially" acceptable than a Mazda2

Now, all this based on my idea that the majority of the members of this forum ARE NOT mainstream car consumers hence the love for the Mazda2

We'll see how those perceptions change once fuel prices start to match the rest of the world (+$4/gallon).

It's already been proven that the stigma can be changed though; Yaris, Fit, et al, all have been selling pretty well. I see tons of them.

i'd hit that 5 door hatch Mazda2 in the picture right there

3 door hatch... not so much... the 2 extra rear doors would be nice for better accessibility

Let's see if Ford lets Mazda do it, the Mazda2 will definitely will be a Fiesta pooper

What Ford needs to pull their collective heads out of their asses and realize is that if Ford sells small cars in the U.S. they'll make money, and if Mazda sells small cars in the U.S. Ford will still make money! Either way, Ford needs the money. Now.

More importantly, Mazda has been known to make really good small cars in the past and present, including the Mazda3, and Ford can't sell a decent small car in the U.S. to save their lives!

Add to this the fact that the Mazda2 has just won "World Car of the Year" and Ford's failure to launch the Mazda2 here against the Fit and Yaris is just unforgiveable. That they're keeping the 2 away because they are planning to bring back the "Fiesta" name, which only 4 people in the united states remember fondly, makes it all the more ridiculous.

Morons. (smash)

Back