Mazda 2 caught in the US

:
17 CX-9 GT FWD
Took these cell phone pic's yesterday at Mazda in Irvine Calif.
Looks like it is ready to go.

Attachments

• Mazda 2 Pic 1.jpg
    Mazda 2 Pic 1.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 1,293
  • Mazda 2 Pic 2.jpg
    Mazda 2 Pic 2.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 1,132
  • Mazda 2 Pic 3.jpg
    Mazda 2 Pic 3.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 1,112
Drop, rims, and it will be a nice commuter car. (iagree)

Edit (forgot to add): Mazda 2 FTW.

Seriously? Does this mean it's coming?

This was not taken at a dealer but at the Mazda USA techinical center. This is were they perform a lot of the driveability and emissions work. The car had the steering wheel on the correct side that means anything.

With todays gas prices..that tiny little thing is coming..for sure.

WE'VE GOT A SCOOP...Send a tip to AUTOBLOG! (2thumbs)

I've got the feeling it is coming, but a car being spotted in Cali is not concrete evidence.

First reaction...OH SH*T! That would be awesome for you guys back in the States & Canada...After calming down...I agree with Tinman...it's a good sign but we can't be sure just yet...I really think the Mazda2 could grab serious sales away from Honda, Suzuki and Toyota etc...

Mazda is thinking about it as they watch gas prices climb...;)

Ps...I'm going to setup a domain & forum ASAP...Just in case...:p

My understanding from my Mazda Canada sources is that the 2 is coming to Canada, but not the US. At the dealer meeting last month in Colorado the Canadians were pulled aside in a private room and given the details on the 2. Looks like a 2010 model will be released in Canada only. It will be bulit in China in the new Mazda factory. Apparently some of the US dealers found out about this "secret" meeting and were really pissed!!!

That wouldn't make much sense at all. The emissions and safety standards for the US and Canada are virtually identical. If they have a product that could already be sold in the US that they're shipping over to North America already, why not send whatever you can sell to the largest auto market in the world, especially when it wouldn't cost you anything?

That wouldn't make much sense at all. The emissions and safety standards for the US and Canada are virtually identical. If they have a product that could already be sold in the US that they're shipping over to North America already, why not send whatever you can sell to the largest auto market in the world, especially when it wouldn't cost you anything?

My understanding is the Mazda Canada has been trying to get this car for awhile and Mazda wouldn't give it to them because the US didn't want it. Mazda has finally broke down and given it to them without the US. Apparently most of the US dealers didn't think the 2 would sell enough to justify it. What are the Fit, Yaris, and Versa sales numbers in the US?

The other issue for Mazda is that they didn't have any capacity to build this car for NA in their Japanese factories. Which is why it's going to be built in China. Maybe they don't have the capacity to build enough for the large US market at this point. Could be they will send it to the US when the production level is there.

Regardless, the info about the dealer meetings is a fact and not hearsay.

Same reason you would sell Smarts to Canada only, and same reason you would sell the Toyota Echo Hatchback to Canada only.

Don't forget Mazda Motor de Mexico. There are many models there that we never get here (Ford Focus ST, VW Lupo, Nissan Aprio). If I'm not mistaken Irvine CA is the HQ for Canada, US and Mexico

Another sighting in CA

We got beaten to it it seems. It looks like the same one but different location...

Screw the Fiesta, bring this one instead :D

Although we've seen the Mazda2 before in 3- and 5-door configurations overseas, the presence of it at a local car meet in Southern California had us once again speculating about its sales potential in the States. The fact that the meet was held at Mazda's SoCal HQ means that the car could simply be undergoing evaluation, but judging by the reaction of the crowd, we think this has better sales potential than the 2009 Focus that was parked at the other end of the lot. While the exterior looked pretty spiffy, the interior looked cavernous. Smart design, and a worthy competitor for the Yaris, Versa and Fit. While we've heard that Ford's version of this car, the Fiesta, will make it to our shores eventually, we still don't know for sure about this lovely little Mazda. Mazda keeps waffling. We'll keep our fingers crossed, especially knowing there's that Mazdaspeed2 in the mix, at least overseas. But that's where all of the magic seems to start nowadays so there is hope.

mazda2_450.jpg

Source:
http://www.autoblog.com/2008/05/25/mazda2-5-door-spotted-in-california/

Back