Clutch...wierld....

mrguy19

Hey is it just me but is really diffcult to engage first gear....
as far for letting off the cltuch and putting the right amound of gas......

i always catch myself giving to much gas.......

are all 5 likes this.........(help)

as far for letting off the cltuch and putting the right amound of gas...... i always catch myself giving to much gas.......
Yep, same thing here. I agree with you, the clutch seems to have a wide friction point and it's fuzzy where it grabs. In first gear there's a fine line between dropping the tach down to stuttering at like 500RPM vs too much gas and overreving. Part of the equation may relate to the drive-by-wire throttle, but that's only speculation.

Hey is it just me but is really diffcult to engage first gear....
as far for letting off the cltuch and putting the right amound of gas......

i always catch myself giving to much gas.......

are all 5 likes this.........(help)

Yep, it's you. First is really easy to get into, and shift into. Now reverse, that's another matter!

Thanks for posting that, I thought I had a bad tranny after wrestling to shift into reverse. I have learned to double-clutch to avoid the battle of the gears.

Reverse is difficult to shift into in any car because of the way that the gears are cut. If it's blocking you, shift into first then immediately attempt reverse again and guaranteed, this time it will let you got right into Reverse no problems.

I think what the OP was asking, not so much relates to the shifting action as much as the specific feel to the clutch.

I had some interesting times when swapping between the Honda and the Mazda (1st gear, reverse, extremely soft clutch) but now that I drive 2 of the same cars is not a big thing anymore. The only thing I remember is that engaging into first gear, compared to the Honda, you really need a full stop to do it. Also, clutch is very soft in comparison. On the Honda you can easily downshift to 1st at, i.e. 2-5MPH, with no trouble.

But anyhow, wife drove the mother's Volvo V40 (5MT) during vacation last year and after 3hrs of heavy traffic she praised the Mazda5 for how soft and easy is to use the clutch/shift gears compared to the Volvo (dunno)

Reverse is difficult to shift into in any car because of the way that the gears are cut. If it's blocking you, shift into first then immediately attempt reverse again and guaranteed, this time it will let you got right into Reverse no problems.

I think what the OP was asking, not so much relates to the shifting action as much as the specific feel to the clutch.

Actuatlly it has more to do with the Gate and reverse lock out than how the gears are cut. But for some reason the float in neutral to get into reverse doesn't always engage. My previous honda was easy in this respect, you just had to push down on the stick while shifting into reverse, worked every time. The mazda design is a bit clumsy in this respect.

Thanks for posting that, I thought I had a bad tranny after wrestling to shift into reverse. I have learned to double-clutch to avoid the battle of the gears.

first is a really short gear in the Mazda 5 so you in and out if it pretty quick. You'll get used to the clutch, it's a lot lighter than North American cars.

Back