DDM vs. Apexcone HID

jandree22

:
2007 Mazda5
I'm planning on buying a set of HID's coming up here pretty soon. I'm getting 4300k 35w, most likely from XenonExpert.com.

I had my mind set on the Apexcones... the kit is $130, but then add on the lifetime warranty for $25, battery relay harness for $30 and shipping (for the separate relay harness) for $15... and we're up to a grand total of $200 for the Apexcones. Also, according to the site they're currently on backorder, to boot.

OTOH, I just checked out the DDM kit, the ones with the slim ballasts, and I can get EVERYTHING for $140 OTD. This kit includes the lifetime warranty and relay harness for free, and free shipping as well.

Seeing as the DDM's have slimmer ballasts and 30% cheaper than the Apexcones, naturally I'm wondering if I'm taking a hit in quality by ordering the cheaper DDM's? I've yet to hear anything bad about the Apexcones, but just haven't heard a lot about the DDM's.

Thanks!

Jandree, get the Apexcone, you won't be sorry you spent the extra dough. Skip the 35 and get the 55 watt kit its also worth the money ( and probably not on back-order either) Those tricky Lankster County roads need all the light you can throw at them! (note the appropriate butchering of the word Lancaster ) Also the relay isn't really all that necessary, I've had zero issues with mine over the last six months, no cooked wires, no fried ballasts, no dead battery, etc. etc. etc. Good luck !

Thanks slvrsleeper, nice to have a first hand account of how they're workin out for ya! Hm, I actually just found the Apexcone kit directly off of DDMTuning.com, including the lifetime warranty, battery harness, and shipping all for $145. I think I'll go this route.

I'll save the $45 for the 55 watters though... 35w I expect should be vast enough of improvement and I'm not up for playing guessing games with the po-po's :)

Most popular are generally 4x00k & 6000k (where x = 1, 3 or 5 usually). 4x00K are the pure white and have the most lumens. 6000k sacrifices a pinch of intensity for a bluish/purplish hue, but not by much. Anything above 6000k and you’re quickly losing intensity and attracting attention from the law.

I’m going 4300k because functionality is more important than looks to me. I’ve honestly debated with 6000k, though, as well.

5000k is another option, but maybe it’s just me but this seems like a faux concept. Not as intense of the 4x00k because there’s some color coating to give a slightly blue look, but not enough blue to get the full effect of the attractive 6000k’s. Perhaps someone owns these and can tell me why I’m wrong, but that’s just my $.02.

FWIW, b16_racer, despite our efforts to convince him otherwise, invested in 12000k’s. I believe he still likes them, but did admit a healthy cut into the intensity.

What trouble can you get into over headlights? I have never had any issues with cops and bright headlights, maybe I have just been lucky. Then again I am a little older and generally am not doing anything worth hassling me over anyway. Are there places that cap light output in lumens?

I have never heard of a such law.. unless you get into a 12k bulb or higher.. and even then your chances are pretty slim. Pretty much every other car around here has HIDS in some sort of fashion... so you shouldnt have any problems.

You don't get into much trouble with bright lights, you get into trouble when you have BLUE or BLUISH lights. Then again, it all comes down to many other factors as well; how fast you're going, what part of town you're in, what kind of car you're driving, how you act when you get pulled over. All these are part of a big picture, but the more blue the lights are, the more it adds.

What trouble can you get into over headlights? I have never had any issues with cops and bright headlights, maybe I have just been lucky. Then again I am a little older and generally am not doing anything worth hassling me over anyway. Are there places that cap light output in lumens?

35watt is more than enough for street use. I've been running 35 watts in the past 3 vehichles I've owned and was never wishing they were brighter. It already looks like flippin daylight infront of the car!!

You don't get into much trouble with bright lights, you get into trouble when you have BLUE or BLUISH lights. Then again, it all comes down to many other factors as well; how fast you're going, what part of town you're in, what kind of car you're driving, how you act when you get pulled over. All these are part of a big picture, but the more blue the lights are, the more it adds.
Well said. As long as 55W are aimed properly and the lights aren't obnoxiously blue, then they you're probably safe.

And I couldn't cite a specific law pointing to proper headlights, but the 55W are supposedly meant for racing or off-road use only.

Yeah, I'm sure 35w looks weak compared to 55w... but what I'm more concerned with at this point is just making halogen look weak compared to 35w ;)

DSC00359.jpg

That pic do it for ya? Stock bulb is on the pass side of the car on the left with the almighty Silverstar Ultra's on the driver's side.

Apexcone 35watt DDM kit in my car on the right

lol... yeah I think I saw that pic on here before. Kind of blew me away, and took away any shread of doubt with the argument against 6000k (vs 4x00k). Pure white!

I'm just psyched up to get them because I didn't realize how amazing they were until I drive side-by-side with a Bimmer on the highway once... completely different type of light than halogens, crystal clear and brings out true colors nicely :)

Alrighty.. jandree22..(drive2)

I feel your excitement.. also..^^

IMO. get 35w kit.. 55w will produce *too* much lumen that will result in *more* glare above cut off line..

of curse choosing between 4300K and 6000K is not easy..

4300k is for most lumen and visiblity
6000K is for best look and style

I curretnly running 4300K and as i told you before.. *much better* illunination at night than 6000K...

I use 6000k once in a while to cure my HAD (Hid Attention Disorder) ..(telling everybody.. Look!! i have HID(attn))

update us with lots of pics and your experience..(drive2)

Will do! Birthday is today and the wifey is making me wait until I got the bday cash in my hands before I'm allowed to drop $150 replacing perfectly good headlights, haha (whip)

get KDW slim kit 120 shipped to your door
imo if they are not phllips,mculloch or siemens they are all made in china, the quality is almost the same, and there is no need to compare the quality of these kits since they should all have lifetime warranty on it
http://www.thexenonstore.com/HID.php there should be a gb on this forum some where

Thanks for the tip… but placed the order already on Friday. Apexcone 35w 4500k from DDMTuning.com. I understand from a Bimmer site that they were on crazy backorder, but their bulb supply was just replenished so hopefully they’re back on track w/shipments soon. It’d be a nice project for next weekend!

Back