How-To install front brakes on ms3 with pics

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK this isn't rocket science but it will make it convient for you guys, the calliper is a little tricky at first to get off cuase you have to take all 4 bolts out vs conventional calipers where you just take out 1 bolt and pull the caliper up. For those of you who don't know how I will try to be as thourough as possible.(uhm)
First secure real wheel as you will have to release the emergancy brake:
FILE0005.jpg

Put the car in gear and release the emergancy brake
FILE0006.jpg

Take off the brake reservoir cap to let bubbles come up when you push in the piston
FILE0007.jpg

Jack the car up and take off the wheel
FILE0008.jpg

this is the spcial star tool that fits the 4 bolts on the back of the caliper(all will have to come out)
FILE0009-1.jpg

Proceed to take all 4 bolts out(the bolt rite next to the brake lin requires an extension)
FILE0011-1.jpg

Push the back of the caliper off
FILE0013.jpg

here is the back with the piston sticking out
FILE0014-3.jpg

This little piece of hardware is the ONLY!! thing holding the rest onn just pry it out at the top and middle part snaps out(attatched to the pad)
FILE0015.jpg

And where off
FILE0016.jpg

FILE0018.jpg

now push back the piston with a handy tool(make sure the brake fluid resivour is off)
FILE0019.jpg

here is the piston now all the way in ready for the new pads
FILE0020-1.jpg

Put the pads back in the way you took them out and put the 4 bolts back in (make sure you tighten them like you would tighten a wheel up down etc. aka. when you tighten one the other gets loose again) After this take a turque wrench and turque all bolts to manufactuter specifications.
FILE0022.jpg

Almost done now put the wheel back on and repeat on the other side.
FILE0024.jpg

When your done you make have a little softness in the pedal push this out with your foot (it took me 3 pushes to get back to normal) do it 10 times to assure any air bubbles come up through the brake fluid resivour
FILE0025.jpg

Add a little braked fluid if needed(I didn't need it but toped it off anyway)
FILE0028-1.jpg

Put the cap back on and go for a test drive!(lol2)
FILE0027.jpg

Last edited:
Do you really need to take all four star bolts out? Couldn't you also just unbolt the entire caliper bracket, pull the tension spring thing out, swap pads, put the tension spring thing back on, then throw the entire assembly back on?

I tried this last night without reading up on it on my neighbors car. I was defeated because I couldn't get the outside pad out. Had I read this I would have tried prying at the spring thing to get it out. Let me know if my method would work.

Oh No! This is a very bad idea. Do Not Dissasemble the caliper! Those four star bolts are a major safety issue and should never be removed. To change pads, you need to remove the two sliding pins that are behind a couple of plastic buttons. Then the whole caliper will slide off the disk. Removing the spring retainer will then allow removing the pads one at a time. If you dissasemble the caliper, it is possible it will leak between the two halves or be mis-aligned and you will have braking problems down the line. I repeat, do not take the caliper apart!

Last edited:
To change pads, you need to remove the two sliding pins that are behind a couple of plastic buttons. Then the whole caliper will slide off the disk. Removing the spring retainer will then allow removing the pads one at a time.
Thought those bolts behind the plastic plugs might have a use.

Again, isn't it easier to just unbolt the 17mm bolts holding the entire caliper bracket onto the hub, remove the spring retainer, remove outside pad, remove inside pad, then reverse the process? I was able to pull off the entire caliper without difficulty, I just didn't know how to get the outside pad out.

Oh No! This is a very bad idea. Do Not Dissasemble the caliper! Those four star bolts are a major safety issue and should never be removed. To change pads, you need to remove the two sliding pins that are behind a couple of plastic buttons. Then the whole caliper will slide off the disk. Removing the spring retainer will then allow removing the pads one at a time. If you dissasemble the caliper, it is possible it will leak between the two halves or be mis-aligned and you will have braking problems down the line. I repeat, do not take the caliper apart!

BS! the bolts are made to come out if you have to rebiuld the caliper ..of course you screw it back on just like your wheel. If you don't screw it back on then your in trouble..lol same goes for your wheel don't forget it! The caliper halves fit together only one way and are tightened down by 4 big bolts your asserstion "they can leak and be missaligned" is COMPLETE bs there i nothing two leak and it only fits together one way..

Last edited:
Thought those bolts behind the plastic plugs might have a use.

Again, isn't it easier to just unbolt the 17mm bolts holding the entire caliper bracket onto the hub, remove the spring retainer, remove outside pad, remove inside pad, then reverse the process? I was able to pull off the entire caliper without difficulty, I just didn't know how to get the outside pad out.

yeah you don't have to take all 4 bolts out like i origanlly thought but it does kinda make it easy you just push the back of the caliper off you would have to do this if you where replacing the piston etc

Hah! I got this same thread killed on the other forum for the same reasons. Thanks for watching out here! I advise a mod to close this ASAP!
-enganear

Hah! I got this same thread killed on the other forum for the same reasons. Thanks for watching out here! I advise a mod to close this ASAP!
-enganear

the calpiers are made to come apart! Its does not "misalign" etc it goes on one way!!! Quit spreading your stupid bull, it is not dangerous to dissasmeble the caliper people do it all the time to change a broken piston etc.. your stupid bill crap not close the thread on the other forum!

I just called a service rep, he said its NO BIG DEAL to unscrew the back of the caliper! NOTHING leaks it bolts back on in ONLY 1 position... man some people have no common sense

-enganear
Thanks for the support. I think I am going to leave it open for now so others can read. Hopefully people will read beyond the first post.

Thanks for the support. I think I am going to leave it open for now so others can read. Hopefully people will read beyond the first post.

whats your point? you see those metal tubes the the back of the calpier slide into it only goes in one way it can't "missalign" and there is nothing to leak, calipers get taken apart all the time for various reasons, ofcourse you have to put them back together. Please give a valid response. and don't just say "it can go on crooked" If you give me a valid contradiction to what i'm saying i will listen!

whats your point? you see those metal tubes the the back of the calpier slide into it only goes in one way it can't "missalign" and there is nothing to leak, calipers get taken apart all the time for various reasons, ofcourse you have to put them back together. Please give a valid response. and don't just say "it can go on crooked" If you give me a valid contradiction to what i'm saying i will listen!
The calipers are machined after assembly and are not intended to be taken apart. They can be completely serviced without taking them apart.

that not what the dealer says, I don't see how you could get that piston out with out taking apart. In addition why is it bolted together if its not inteneded to come apart? wouldnt it just be a cast peice if what you say is true?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back