Finding the reverse wire....electrical wiring whizzes out there?

I have a wiring diagram...but can't read it for nada. I installed a backup camera and need to find the reverse wire to complete the installation. I attempted to take off the taillight...but it wouldn't budge after I took off the two screws that hold it on. Anyone know where I can tap into the reverse light wire up under the dash?

Ok.. Understand that this is from the European FSM. Some items could be wrong so double check.

There are several places to get your wire.

Connector C-02 in engine compartment (blue connector?) contains wires for the engine and front harness. The wire position E, Red with yellow wire.

Connector C-04 under the dash (blue connector?), passengers side. Red with yellow wire, middle of the connector, middle row, lots of wires.

If you need more let me know.. That same wire color is used all the way to the tail light harness.

Attachments

• Backup_Circuit_1.gif
    Backup_Circuit_1.gif
    28.1 KB · Views: 6,974
  • Backup_Circuit_2.gif
    Backup_Circuit_2.gif
    59.5 KB · Views: 3,764
  • Backup_Circuit_3.gif
    Backup_Circuit_3.gif
    47.8 KB · Views: 7,145
Is the red wire with a yellow stripe the cable going to the revese light bulb? Thats what I am really needing. I finally took off the taillight and can see the reverse light cable being a red wire with a blue stripe. There is a matching cable in the same area as the red wire with a yellow stripe. Could this be the same cable as going to the bulb?

Is the red wire with a yellow stripe the cable going to the revese light bulb? Thats what I am really needing. I finally took off the taillight and can see the reverse light cable being a red wire with a blue stripe. There is a matching cable in the same area as the red wire with a yellow stripe. Could this be the same cable as going to the bulb?

Cut the wire and see if the light goes out. If so, then splice in your camera. If not, splice it back together.

Everyone,

It's definitely the Red wire with the yellow stripe. (at least it is on the 2008 GT). You can get to it by removing the kick panel on the right side. There's a bundle of wires coming down from the blue connector - they are wrapped by black electrical tape. Unwrap the tape and sift thru the wires to get to the Red w/yellow one.

I've attached a few photos below.

All in all, the rear camera install is quite easy. I've placed my camera on the inside and at the top of the rear window. (Snaking a wire down the rear door to get it mounted on the license plate seemed like too big of a pain). Snaking the wire from the camera up to the dash was a snap (I went from the rear door to the ceiling of the D-pillar, along the ceiling between the d-pillar and the c-pillar, down the c-pillar, under the trim below the sliding door, under the trim under the passenger front door, and up into the rear of the dash... all in about 5 minutes)

Hope this helps.

Attachments

• img015.jpg
    img015.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 4,573
  • img016.jpg
    img016.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 4,039
  • img017.jpg
    img017.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 2,610
Thanks for the pics of the reverse wire. Any pics of how/where you mounted the camera itself? My father just got a Mz5 and I'm planning on installing a back up camera system for him.

Thanks for the pics of the reverse wire. Any pics of how/where you mounted the camera itself?

My thoughts exactly! Thanks for the good pics! I am curious also what backup camera you used? I think I am going to add a camera when I install some more features on the Avic D-3.

I installed it at the top of the window on the inside of the back door (see attached picture). There are a few installs in this forum that have put it here and I've seen one recent post of someone installing the camera down near the license plate (although threading the wire down to that location is very difficult).

The camera position I've used has one advantage: In the winter the outside rear of the tailgate tends to get very dirty. So, with this install location, I can simply hit the rear wiper washer to get me a clear view.

Attachments

• img008.jpg
    img008.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 1,817
Forgot to add, I used a Kenwood camera. No complaints... good visibility and auto-adjusts for dark settings.

i like that idea. its also way easier to get the cable there instead of somewhere near the license plate.

for backing up its more important to see your own bumper and whats coming up to it anyway. so you get a better judgement of the distannce compared to just see something behind you -> how would you know how far it is away? so i think its a good idea!

Camryman, I appreciate the pics. I'll be installing a rearview mirror/monitor and backup camera in my father's 5 tomorrow so it will be quite helpful. At least for the mean time I'll be putting the camera the same place you did. If he decides he likes the camera then I may try and mount it outside, but we'll see.

I installed it at the top of the window on the inside of the back door (see attached picture). There are a few installs in this forum that have put it here and I've seen one recent post of someone installing the camera down near the license plate (although threading the wire down to that location is very difficult).

The camera position I've used has one advantage: In the winter the outside rear of the tailgate tends to get very dirty. So, with this install location, I can simply hit the rear wiper washer to get me a clear view.

Do you have tinted windows? I am thinking about mounting a camera in the same position, but I am unsure how it would work through the tinted window.

I'm in mid-install right now and wiring up to the reverse signal wire..... only thing is there are two red/yellow wires in that bundle. Any thoughts?

EDIT: Strike that. I realized that one of the red/yellow wires was coming off the gray plug. I decided to tap off of the wires lower towards the floor vs. higher up where you got them. All's well now, just need to do the final mounting of the camera.

Last edited:
No, my windows aren't tinted. But after a lot of snow in the Northeast this year, having the camera inside (where I can clear the window with the rear wiper) has been a huge plus.

One downside to my location though is that you cannot see the rear bumper in the camera's view. The view down to the bumper area is about 1 foot away from the actual bumper, so you'll still do some guessing when trying to parallel park for instance.

I didn't notice 2 wires when I did the install. I just tapped into the first one I saw. Note sure if there are actually 2 (one for each reverse... I think these are the power leads for the reverse lights so there might be 2)

I didn't notice 2 wires when I did the install. I just tapped into the first one I saw. Note sure if there are actually 2 (one for each reverse... I think these are the power leads for the reverse lights so there might be 2)

The wiring bundle from the blue plug comes down and gets attached to the wiring bundle coming out of the gray plug. The gray plug is directly beneath the outside passenger kick panel (and right next to where the big white hook on the panel goes into the door jamb). I'm guessing that the second red/yellow isn't the reverse since it didn't trigger anything when connected to that wire, and worked perfectly when I used the other one.

I finished the install earlier today, and only ran into three or four snags.
1) two red/yellow wires
2) couldn't remove A-pillar cover (ended up just fishing over the airbag)
3) both sides of the camera harness plugs were larger than the the plastic clips the rubber boots attached to (to get from the car to the door). I ended up using a utility knife to make a cut in the side of the plastic piece and sliding the wire in through the side. The clip is still super rigid with the cut, and the rubber boot covers everything up.

I also installed a camera on my 5, but the wiring was really easy to do... I simply removed the left (driver side) back light panel and hooked my camera wire to the reverse lamp... And it worked well.

Although... The trouble that I got, was the fact that the camera lens was outside, sitting on the licence plate and as some of you mentionned, it got durty and finally stopped working...

I'd be willing to buy another one and do it so that the camera is inside the back window, but how does it work when you have tinted windows?? That is my big question....

Back