And on the seventh, into the shop it goes

Scott P

:
2006 MazdaSpeed 6
The wife went to leave for work this morning and the battery was dead. We've had the CX-9 for seven days now. I gave her the keys to my Speed 6 so I could charge the battery and call the dealership.

After sitting in the waiting room for an hour or so, I was told there was a drain somewhere in system First, they thought it was in the auto dim/back up camera mirror. When that didn't pan out, I was put in a Chrysler Aspen rental for the weekend. When I last saw the CX-9, parts of the dash were disassembled and the mechanic was tracing circuits. He doesn't work on weekends, so the best estimate for the repair is Monday.

I just hope they can fix it right the first time so I don't have to go back again. My wife is going to be less than pleased that her $33,000 vehicle is not available to her only a week after she bought it.

I think you should have gone to a different dealer.

There are a lot of things to check BEFORE you start pulling the dash and wiring apart.

Sounds like it had already been drained and they just put in a new one to get the car off the lot. I'll never understand why car dealers seem to go out of their way to make sure they get no repeat business.

Smooth. Put a new battery in because the original went flat and then never bother to follow up and see if the problem reoccurred before selling the vehicle.

I'd agree with CX9 Sportowner here, you're likely not going to get much satisfaction out of this dealer in terms of getting the problem solved, especially the way they're going about it.

It isn't a short since that would blow a fuse or trip a circuit breaker and call attention to itself pretty quickly. It could be something as basic as a stuck relay causing a circuit to stay closed and draining power.

One way to go about it would be to put an ampmeter on the battery, note level of draw, which would be abnormally high in this case, and then start systematically pulling relays and fuses until a sharp drop in the amps is noted then troubleshoot that circuit.

Good luck to you on getting the problem resolved.

Ted

Well if you're keeping count on this issue you may have grounds to have it recalled as a lemon and get a new one. Sounds like you've been in twice for this issue. If it goes on much longer start asking about the "Lemon Law" and you may get results one way or the other. Best of luck to ya though.

The dash was apart because one of the center vents was dirty with the chrome scuffed up. I think it's an assembly with the center stack. As far as the current drain goes, I'll see what they say on Monday. The service manager said it was on a main circuit with lots of potential draws. It went in at 2:30 on Friday afternoon, so they only got about two hours of diagnosis.

My local Mazda dealer has a terrible service department. We bought the CX-9 from another one. We took it back there since they sold it to us. I'm hoping they'll turn out to be decent enough to take my Speed6 in for repairs. Electrical gremlins are evil and I can see it taking some time to track them down. As mentioned earlier, there are a lot of relays and potential issues to arise to cause the draw.

I just got the call from the dealership. The problem was traced to a pin that got bent when a connector was assembled. I'll be checking out the car thoroughly when I pick it up. I also plan on asking why it wasn't fixed when they noticed the battery was dead before it was sold.

Back