Winters Rusted on........

smmra

Changed over to summer rubber last weekend. A half hour job turned into a 3 hour debacle. The winter steelies were stuck to the hub. No amount of knocking would get them off. (pissed) As a last resort I spayed a small amount of WD-40 on the hub, hand tightened the lugs and drove around, did a few hard stops and corners. When I got them back up on the jack it still took a couple of whacks to get them dislodged. Needless to say, I made sure there was a good smearing of grease on the hub b4 I put the summers on.

Anyone else have a similar experience?

Changed over to summer rubber last weekend. A half hour job turned into a 3 hour debacle. The winter steelies were stuck to the hub. No amount of knocking would get them off. (pissed) As a last resort I spayed a small amount of WD-40 on the hub, hand tightened the lugs and drove around, did a few hard stops and corners. When I got them back up on the jack it still took a couple of whacks to get them dislodged. Needless to say, I made sure there was a good smearing of grease on the hub b4 I put the summers on.

Anyone else have a similar experience?

I've started taking the car to the dealership for them to swap the Winter/Summer wheels. It costs me $15 for all 4 wheels which is a bargain so I haven't had to deal with this problem.
Anthony

Crap. I was planning on switching back to my stock wheels/Toyos next week. Thanks for the heads up.

Winter Rims

A little smear of wheel bearing grease on the hub and wheel centre will prevent rust from locking the rim to the hub - particlarily if your winter driving is in areas where they use salt on the roads ! (yes)

Solution:
Use a piece of wood, about 2X2 and wedge it in between the wheel spoke and rotor. Pry a little and it just pops right off. Easy as cake. The wood doesn't damage the rotor at all either.

No amount of hitting the tires would get mine off. I even hit the tire with a sledge hammer! (old tires, were going to be replaced)

for the most stubborn that I have experienced with winters and steelies, when everything else has failed, you may have to reach for the old trust-worthy ... torch
just pre-heat that steel lip, and 1 strike with the hammer is all that you will need.

Torch..or use the wood pry bar trick. I had to drop kick mine once..was scared the car would fall off the jackstands. Anyways..Liquid Wrench helps too.just spray and let it sit for about 20 minutes.

Torch..or use the wood pry bar trick. I had to drop kick mine once..was scared the car would fall off the jackstands. Anyways..Liquid Wrench helps too.just spray and let it sit for about 20 minutes.

When swtiching to my steelies before this winter, the stockies required some awfully strong mule-kicking this year. I thought the same thing, I was going to boot it off the jack, lol.

The first time I personally rotated the tires, the same thing happened to me.
I put a length of 2x4 across the lower part of the tire/rim and hit it with a mini-sledge until it broke free.

...Cleaned the hub with a stiff wire brush and coated it (and the rotor hat) with anti-seize.

My previous car did this to me, one of the winter tires stuck on. I sprayed "Liquid Wrench" all over the wheel, whacked it, drove around and braked hard, etc. Nothing loosened it. I finally took it to the shop right by me, and watched as the tech took it off with what looked like no effort at all, and gave me a funny look once he was done. I choose to believe that I finally loosened it up, not that I was nuts or something. Anyway, antisieze gets put on every time, and no issues since.

Latest posts

Back