CX-9 brake performance (Steering wheel vibration)

Hey everyone!
I just picked up my 2008 AWD touring CX-9 and am very pleased with it, but I did notice that when driving at speeds above 40 mph and braking with medium to heavy pressure, I feel a vibration through the steering wheel and you can actually see the steering wheel vibrate. Theres no pulling or fear of losing control its just an annoying vibration. Now coming from a large SUV to the CX-9 I am really not sure if this a characteristic that is normal for a lighter all-wheel drive vehicle. this vehicle only has 300 miles on it. Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

Hello XXTREMEMACHINE,
That's not good for a new CX-9. I never had this issue even up to 15K now. With my experience with passed cars, usually the vibration during braking indicates warping on the disc brakes and uneven wear on the brake pad. Take a look at the front disc brake. If you see scar mark on the surface all round the disc brake, then, you have a poor brake pad. If this happen, you need to replace the brake pad and skim the disc. It's best to go to the Mazda service centre and have them check for you since it's under warranty. Good luck.

Steering wheel vibration follow up

Semrz1,
Thanks for the info, you were right on the money with your diagnosis.
They did find the roters were blueing (excesssive heat), they allso showed me an imprint of the brake pad on the the rotor, an indication that it was sitting for some time probably after some hot demo trips around the dealership. since this should have been noticed during the pre-delivery/ inspection, the dealer I took it to close to my home recomended I bring it to the dealer I bought it from. I guess my next question is can a warped rotor be resufaced/cut or should it be flat out replaced.
Thanks again.

CX9 SportOwner is right. It's under warranty. Another advice, have the mechanic inspect the piston calipers just in case it's slightly jam. Have fun with new CX-9.

Back