Motor mount mods?

$chocker

:
2006 Mazda5 Sport 5sp
Has anyone in here done any mods to the rear motor mount?

I'm considering doing something on my 5mt because occasionally, on takeoff from a stop, I'm getting some clutch chatter that I think is attributable to the super soft rear mount. This mount has always seemed pretty sloppy to me. I have, on occasion, gotten some pretty bad wheel hop during aggressive takeoffs in the wet, too.

I've got just over 31k miles on the 5; I'd hate to think my clutch is on its way out. I've never had a clutch problem on any of my past MT vehicles (all taken past 75k miles).

Wonder if your clutch problems have anything to do with those aggressive takeoffs.....?

Nah... I actually normally really baby the car. I drive to save gas most of the time. I can honestly say that the motor has seen six grand less than ten times since I bought it almost two years ago. That wheelhop thing has happened maybe two or three times when trying to squirt into or through a hole in traffic in the rain. Those Toyos suck in the rain.

I would have asked the same question, I guess. Thanks for the response!

i use an AWR 70duro rear mount in my mazda5. any of the mazda3/mazdaspeed3 rear mounts work and we have listed on the site.

i use an AWR 70duro rear mount in my mazda5. any of the mazda3/mazdaspeed3 rear mounts work and we have listed on the site.

thanks captain - I have been considering one of those or the Cobb inserts or maybe even the Street Unit mount. For the time being, I have made an appointment with my servicing dealership to have the TSB for the acceleration "stumble" performed. My stumble is severe enough at times to chirp the tires if it happens in first gear. I have asked the dealer to inspect the stock mount for damage or fatigue. I suspect that the severe stumbles may have weakened the mount over time. I fully expect the service department to give the mount a clean bill of health, after which I'll have to pursue my own solution (perhaps an AWR from you guys?).

By the way, have you heard of any clutch problems on the 5? I've been assuming that my problem is related exclusively to excessive engine movement because I've never had a clutch issue before. I mostly baby the car.

clutch problems aren't too rampant on unmodified 2.3s that i know of. let me know what the dealer says.

Update:

Had the appointment with the dealer today - they did the TSB for the acceleration stumble and looked at the mount. They confirm that the mount has s*** the bed. The advisor couldn't tell me if the rubber was torn or separated from the metal or whatever, but I didn't push it because they're going to replace the mount under warranty anyway.

So, Ill give that a try for now and see how it works.

Not to hijack the thread, but $chocker, do you notice a change since the acceleration stumble TSB fix was done. Better? Anyone else?
Thanks.

Haven't noticed any difference yet, but it hasn't seen the high side of 4500 RPM since I got it back on Tuesday.

Update

Nothing like giving your own thread a bump....

Had the new mount installed today...problem solved for now. No more chatter at take-off. Less engine drone coming into the cabin when under some load, too.

If it goes bad again, I'll probably go aftermarket for a replacement.

By the way, got to give props to New Country Mazda in Saratoga Springs, NY for the good job and excellent treatment. No questions asked on the warranty work, and they provided me with a no charge rental.

Thread bump for Schocker or anyone else who had had the stumble TSB done....
Is there a noticeable change/improvement with the accelerator stumble TSB fix???
When I drive my wife's 5, she looks at me funny like I don't know how to drive a car or be steady on the accelerator because it is rather jumpy.
Thanks.

I haven't observed any changes in driveability or performance with the TSB service for the stumble.

I'm pretty sure the stumble hasn't recurred, however. I say "pretty sure" because my wife stopped me in the middle of a sentence as I was talking about the car the other day and says, "Oh, the car did the lurch again yesterday.....umm, wait, was that a dream?" She couldn't remember. Ugh.

My 5 hasn't did the stumble since I got the TSB done about 2 months ago. I've actually noticed that the car has slightly more power in the lower rpm's and it doesn't feel so sluggish with the a/c on like it used to.

Back