MT or AT

MT or AT

• Total voters
I still need to teach my wife stick... she has yet to drive the Mazda. My brother's wife loves it so hopefully that'll help convince her it's a good idea.

wmzda5, keep in mind that the results you'll get from a survey here will not give you an accurate depiction of how many MT/AT's are actually on the road. The people that come here tend to be the more enthusiast type so you'll find a much higher ratio of MT to AT. My guess is out in the 'real world', North America anyway, it's more like 80% AT / 20% MT, if not less MT. A lot of 'real world' buyers think AT is a luxury, nice-to-have, convenience, etc... including some who simply can't even drive a stick including my 24 year old brother with a knee problem that just traded an 01 5MT civic to a 04 4AT civic strictly for that reason. All that considered, there will always be a minority out there who will avoid the dreaded slushbox whenever possible.

So unless this is out of sheer curiosity, doesn't matter what everybody else has... you'll be driving so get what you want.

My wife has been driving manual longer than I have. Neither of us were really looking forward to driving a family-mobile thinking we'd be forced to get an automatic. The available MT in the 5 has certainly changed that.

Thanks guys. Reading all of your post regarding the MT, looks like Im not alone thinking this way, the 5MT is definitely the first in my list why I chose the 5.

Saint, that's funny - those are almost the same exact words I use when explaining to people why I bought my 5.

Manual Tranny was a critical purchase reason. Wife and I learned how to drive with Manual and will continue to love it until it dies (when DSG, Manumatic and (blah) take over).

We did not buy it to race, but the Manual Tranny driver-machine engagement makes the Mazda5 even more fun-to-drive (and wife feels safer and in more control at the wheel, honest).

The main reason we first considered a manual? It was cheaper. We had no financial reason to trade in a perfectly good two-year-old MPV, so we got the price down as low as we could.

But after years of my wife saying she hated driving manuals - and avoiding driving my cars in particular, since I've had manuals for a long time - she took my car for a drive for the first time in about six years and decided, what the hey, let's get the 5 with the stick shift. And now she loves it and won't give it up.

As an aside, the 5 makes much more financial sense now with gas prices headed up and up.

I'd love to have a Manual Mazda5 but my wife does not how to drive yet and an Auto would be easier for her to learn. I'm still dreaming for a Manual Mazda5 still.

For me, it was like this: sliding doors + stick = SOLD! I have never regretted buying the 5. I look forward to every stint behind the wheel.

Ditto. She knows how, but prefers not to while dealing with kids, etc. She says the manual is stressful.

chickenshit excuse. If you can't pay enough attention to drive stick, you shouldn't be driving at all. As in....if kids are distracting you that much, pull the hell over!

Congratulation jeebusm3. Your children are well disciplined (at least not enough to distract drivers).

Congratulation jeebusm3. Your children are well disciplined (at least not enough to distract drivers).

actually no, my kid is a royal pain right now. But what I was saying was if kids are so distracting that you can't drive stick, you can't drive at all. Driving automatic doesn't mean you can turn around and yell at your kids instead of facing forward.

Well, I'm driving an automatic and love it...... "Stick was fun when I was young", but now I'm a little older and prefer not to work so much when I'm driving, and three days out of each week I'm driving in Washington, DC and really love the auto trans....... mpg are still pretty good, got 28 mpg on my last trip to DC.....

Well, I'm driving an automatic and love it...... "Stick was fun when I was young", but now I'm a little older and prefer not to work so much when I'm driving, and three days out of each week I'm driving in Washington, DC and really love the auto trans....... mpg are still pretty good, got 28 mpg on my last trip to DC.....

I always LOL at that reason for not driving stick too. "It was fun when I was young."

It's especially funny since anyone that can drive stick well, will admit that there is no real work involved. It's second nature. You don't even notice it when you don't want to.

I think all you automatic drivers just need to admit to it. You are lazy americans.

I always LOL at that reason for not driving stick too. "It was fun when I was young."

It's especially funny since anyone that can drive stick well, will admit that there is no real work involved. It's second nature. You don't even notice it when you don't want to.

I think all you automatic drivers just need to admit to it. You are lazy americans.

Try driving stick in a 45 minute stop and go traffic, ie. wait a couple minutes then move half car length then wait a couple minutes then move another half car length. My legs and knees were shaking with fatigue after 45minutes of that. (freak)

But on the other hand, I was able to drive through a couple blocks of flood waters that's bumper high just by revving the engine and controlling the clutch and the handbrake to move. Try that on an Auto tranny car.(yippy)

Back