sway bar

fraochdha

has anyone had a swaybar installed on their cx-9? if so, how do you like it, and does anyone know if it voids any part of the warrantee, etc?

thx

swaybars

Hmm. Really? cause I still feel a lot of body roll when cornering. given, it does corner pretty damn well... but I would have imagined that the roll would have been even less.

P.

I would consider upgraded sway bar for front and rear for flatter cornering. However, although it would not affect the firmness of the ride, but might make things a little "tossy" on unpaved roads.

I had taken advantage of aftermarket bars on 2 of my previous cars and it was great. Then of course, the cars rarely left pavement.

ZoomFive

I dont see how could get a CX9 to corner any flatter than it does now. I am still surprised at how well it tracks and stabilizes in corners.

I dont see how could get a CX9 to corner any flatter than it does now. I am still surprised at how well it tracks and stabilizes in corners.

Interesting opinion to take, given the fact that this cat initiated the discussion regarding sway bars for the CX-9. Definitely an inconsistent
position. I'm beginning to see why certain members take his posts with a grain of salt.

Interesting opinion to take, given the fact that this cat initiated the discussion regarding sway bars for the CX-9. Definitely an inconsistent
position. I'm beginning to see why certain members take his posts with a grain of salt.

HUH? The thread was initiated by fraochdha, not CX9SportOwner. All CX9SportOwner pointed out was that the CX-9 already has sway bars and the the vehicle handles quite well for its size. So I'm not seeing where his opinion is at all inconsistent.

Ted

The CX-9 drives well for the size of car. There are some ways, but other than thicker sway bars, I would probably not consider any of these :

1. Camber plates that allow you to set negative camber.
2. Stiffer suspension bushings / sway bar bushings.
3. Stiffer springs.
4. Lower profile tires.

I have done all of the above on other cars and they cornered on rails, but sacraficed comfort on the street. On my 3 series, I did some of the above, but reverted back to stock. Usually, the aftermarket stuff has more noise/vibration.

All in all, I think that the CX-9 ride could be flatter with the sways, but it would make the ride too jiggly in the rear under certain conditions.

- ZoomFive

Stiffening the suspension can frequently negate any roll flattening advantage by causing stuttering when cornering.

The '9 has some pretty nice engineering, if you ask me. I'd never think of messing with it.

Last edited:
Stiffening the suspension can frequently negate any roll flattening advantage by causing stuttering when cornering.

The '9 has some pretty nice engineering, if you ask me. I'd never think of messing with it.

I agree. It takes a lot of tuning to find the right balance. For an everyday car, the CX-9 is set up better than most in its class. Then of course... it is also about driving skills.

ZoomFive

Agreed. I have already shamed a number of bikes and performance cars on our local windy roads in our '9. Now THAT's fun to do.

The key to driving any car through curves is backing off the entry, and accelerating through the apex. I have very little roll using that technique. I lose wannabes every time because they try to catch me going fast INTO the curves, almost lose the car, and back off.

Last edited:
I have the GT with the 20" wheels. What I have found is that the Dueler tires have a max inflation rating of 51 psi, the factory placard say 34 f/r, and if I air them up to 42 f/r (still well withing limits) it doesn't notably impact the ride comfort but it does lessen the understeer enough to be noticable and makes the vehicle feel more in balance around sweeping curves.

I agree, I wouldn't spend the money on stiffer roll bars either. The vehicle handles well for its size and weight and simply playing with inflation pressure on the tires yields noticable results.

But, as the saying goes; it's your money, so do with it what you will.

Ted

The one thing I WILL be doing to increase ride and handling is switch the crappy Bridgestones with the Michelin Latitude HP. MUCH better tire for treadwear, road noise, winter traction, and cornering.

I have the GT with the 20" wheels. What I have found is that the Dueler tires have a max inflation rating of 51 psi, the factory placard say 34 f/r, and if I air them up to 42 f/r (still well withing limits) it doesn't notably impact the ride comfort but it does lessen the understeer enough to be noticable and makes the vehicle feel more in balance around sweeping curves.

I agree, I wouldn't spend the money on stiffer roll bars either. The vehicle handles well for its size and weight and simply playing with inflation pressure on the tires yields noticable results.

But, as the saying goes; it's your money, so do with it what you will.

Ted

I used to pump up our pressures when autocrossing (not the CX-9).

ZoomFive

The one thing I WILL be doing to increase ride and handling is switch the crappy Bridgestones with the Michelin Latitude HP. MUCH better tire for treadwear, road noise, winter traction, and cornering.

I second that! But at the moment I have to live with the Duelers. From everything I'm reading they'll be worn out by around 30k so replacing them will come, but not soon enough.

Ted

Back