Thanks for all your help

So I have had my 5 for two weeks. Still loving it. Now loving it more. I have finally installed my Pioneer Avic D3. This is my first stereo installation. Total time was just over 9 hours. In addition to the Avic D3 I installed XM radio and a bluetooth module. I was hoping to use the factory microphone for the bluetooth, but the wiring is quite a bit different. I mounted the XM and bluetooth modules in the space behind the glovebox using industrial strength velcro. The GPS antenna is also under the dash. The XM antenna is on the rear of the car. I ran the cable down the roof rail channels, down the windshield and into the passenger door, behind the weatherstripping and into the dashboard. I mounted the microphone ontop of the rearview mirror. Since the factory aux port was no longer functional, I pulled it out and ran an audio/visual cable for my Zune through that hole. I can now display my Zune on the D3. The steering wheel radio controls works just like the factory controls.

BTW thanks to everyone on here for help. I bought most everything from Crutchfield thinking they could really help...turns out they knew very little about the new dashboard in the 2008 Mazda5. I would not have attempted this installation without this forum and avic411.com . Removing the lower console is different due to the rear air duct. Took me a while to figure it out.

Photos will be posted later. Time to relax.

Congrats on finishing the project! Nice of you to come and express your thanks, but I'm sure you had to do plenty of research on your own too, so props for you there.

popcorn.gif
<-- Me, eagerly waiting on said photos.

Well you sure did alot for your first stereo install. Doesn't it feel good to do it yourself? Enjoy your new system!(eekdance)

Here are a few pics. I DON'T like the silver. I will likely buy another kit and try to match the dark grey on the 2008 Mazda5.

First, the AVIC D3 showing my Microsoft Zune content. The Zune sits in the slot above the Aux input port. I do want to fabricate something for the port as now its just a hole with a cable hanging out. I bought a connector from radio shack that can connect two headphone jacks, but it doesn't transmit the video from the Zune.

<Can't figure out why the next two photos don't show up....too tired>
XM radio, I really like the colors and photos. My TSX had only black and white text

Just the Nav screen

Last edited:
Looks great! The problem I see with Silver in your application is that you’re dealing with basically a TV monitor, and the gloss off the silver really distracts from the content. Plus you’re used to the black as well. But other than that it looks like a perfect fit and install, nice work. Enjoy (thumb)

Back