What it sounds like with the header

mazda32008

:
mazda3i 2008 M/T!
I forgot where the original thread went. Someone wanted to hear how my car sounded with header so here it goes. Thunder header, Fujita CAI. Yea i know i messed up on one of my shifts but w/e.

Attachments

• MZ3.mp3
    1.6 MB · Views: 372
Pretty sweet, I was wondering how the headers sounded, cuz i wanted to buy them too. They seem pretty quiet though, or is that just the recording device?

yea with stock exhaust its barely noticable. when down shifting from like 3 grand going down then you can hear it humm down but that's about it. What you hear in that clip is pretty much how it sounds in real life but a bit better. It will really open up once you change the exhaust though. I never knew our exhuasts were that restricting. Once you change the exhaust there will be a big diff.

Here's a clip of my '04 at an SCCA race. I've got an ARK DT-S Exhaust, Draxas Header, and Fujita Intake. Its much louder than with a stock exhaust. Oh and don't mind the mazdaspeed title in the video, the person who shot it was confused.
YouTube Video

is it safe to hit the rev limiter for that long (at least for me it was long). But that sounds nice as hell it doesn't sound like a 4 cyl that much. How much was that exhaust and how quiet is it compared to corksport or HKS hi power.

In my video I barely hit the rev limiter, maybe for a full second? earlier that day i was on the limiter for the full 4 cone slalom, it won't hurt anything.
I don't know anyone local with a corksport or HKS so I've never been able to compare it. Its pretty low key when putting around town, though.

....dam! i just saw the price of that exhaust 800$??!! thats crazy expensive for an exhaust system.

whoa! the price went up quite a bit, lol. I got lucky and bought it off someone. This was almost a year ago but I want to say it was $550ish back then.

Arkspeedracing is selling the ARK exhaust on their ebay store for $549 + $52 shipping. So your lookin' at around $600. That's gonna be my next purchase! Nice exhaust!

Here's a clip of my '04 at an SCCA race. I've got an ARK DT-S Exhaust, Draxas Header, and Fujita Intake. Its much louder than with a stock exhaust. Oh and don't mind the mazdaspeed title in the video, the person who shot it was confused.
YouTube Video

Your car sounds really good actually. Have you done any suspension upgrade? The reason I ask is seems like your car turning pretty well.

I've got MS Springs and a rear MS swaybar. I've got an extra set of wheels and am having Falken RT-615's mounted on them which should make a big difference. I'm on Falken FK-452's in that video and while they do ok, I should be able to pick up a good amount of time with the stickier auto-x tires.
Thanks for the compliment, I'm very happy with the sound and performance of the setup!

I have a 06, 2.0 MT. I just installed an OBX header on mine, combine with a Megaflow high-flow cat and OEM Mazdaspeed 3 cat-back. When I accelerate, there's some metal vibration type noise at the front (under the hood) and vibration/rattle noise at back. And when coasting + deceleration, some vibration/rattle noise in the middle, kinda like right between the drive seal and passanger seat. My friend said the metal vibration noise from the front when I accelerate is the "power" noise from my engine. Is that true? (boom02)

sounds like you either have something loose..which i doubt or your springs on the flex pipe OR the flex pipe has no flexibility so its causing other s*** to move around and cling like your tail pipe or a part of your exhaust.

I would say its just the heat-shield. You can remove it to get rid of the noise or just deal with it. I'm not too bothered by the noise so I've just left it on. I believe there is a rule in STS that you can't remove it so I'm going with that excuse, lol.

Back