Sport with out the "popular equipment" package

6_4with4

About to place an order for a Mazda 5 Sport AT; Yes, mostly the car is for my wife to drive.

Been trying to decide between getting it with our without moonroof? If you get the moonroof you have to get the "popular equipment" package--I don't want the 6 CD changer.
Does anybody have pictures of the sport without the rear foil and side sills? Should I just suck it up and get the package to have the spoilers etc? Later to add spoilers would cost about the same right?
Also I've only been able to test drive a sport without moonroof. I'm tall at 6'4"--will that loss of 2" inches of headroom with the moonroof added. Any other tall drivers with moonroof want to comment.

PS this a great forum! I'm glad to be joining.

Hey!

Welcome to the board!

As someone mentionned (can't remember in which thread) just a few days ago, if you buy these options on credit, a 1500$ option ends up costing you almost double over the course of your lease. If you purchase seperately, you pay the exact amount and only once.

It's up to you. Personally, I think the 5 looks weird without the sills....

About to place an order for a Mazda 5 Sport AT; Yes, mostly the car is for my wife to drive.

Been trying to decide between getting it with our without moonroof? If you get the moonroof you have to get the "popular equipment" package--I don't want the 6 CD changer.
Does anybody have pictures of the sport without the rear foil and side sills? Should I just suck it up and get the package to have the spoilers etc? Later to add spoilers would cost about the same right?
Also I've only been able to test drive a sport without moonroof. I'm tall at 6'4"--will that loss of 2" inches of headroom with the moonroof added. Any other tall drivers with moonroof want to comment.

PS this a great forum! I'm glad to be joining.

I'm too lazy to link because I'm still at work but look here for a few photos: http://picasaweb.google.com/mrbwa1/Mazda5

Ours is an '07 and it has the winter steelies in the photos, but will get you the idea. We searched for probably 3-4 months to get a base sport. Still ended up with winter mats and Auto-Dimming mirror. We like the mats and the mirror is nice... just not sure about $200+ nice...

If you want any more angles, let me know. I think I shot it from every angle that session, just didn't post them all.

I'm 6'2" and have PLENTY of headroom in the 5 with the moon roof. That is once I get the seat all the way down and back. Then again I am accustom to driving a small car.

Great! Thanks for the responses

Excellent. Thank you for the feedback. Still mulling options but definitely will get the Mz5. Just flipping back and forth between getting a decked out GT and not thinking twice or...Getting base sport and using the $ for other good options (HD TV, computer for wife, etc)...
Will decide this weekend and place order for factory delivered version on Monday.
-m

Excellent. Thank you for the feedback. Still mulling options but definitely will get the Mz5. Just flipping back and forth between getting a decked out GT and not thinking twice or...Getting base sport and using the $ for other good options (HD TV, computer for wife, etc)...
Will decide this weekend and place order for factory delivered version on Monday.
-m

The good thing is that no matter what 5 you get, it'll basically drive the same and even the sport doesn't look that different. I guess if it's mainly for the wife, let her choose? I probably would have gotten a touring for the moonroof myself, but the wife pointed out the cost difference and I just couldn't justify it.

I'm tall at 6'4"--will that loss of 2" inches of headroom with the moonroof added. Any other tall drivers with moonroof want to comment

Bordering 6'. I don't have moonroof but I rented a Mazda5 Touring the other day, there was plenty of headroom space, no trouble. At 6'4" I would be more worried about the legroom, but you seem to have test driven one so you should be then OK...

I probably would have gotten a touring for the moonroof myself, but the wife pointed out the cost difference and I just couldn't justify it.

I hear ya, letting her choose (or letting her think she is the one choosing) is smart, trust me... LOL ;)

5's without the side sills and spoiler look bare naked. It REALLY makes te car. Well worth it imo.

Legroom:
I'm 6'3" and I had to get acclimated to the legroom constraints. After 2 weeks or so, I got used to it - although I worry about would to happen to my knees if I ever get into an accident.

Headroom:
I have a '07 base model Sport and if I have the seat set to the lowest position, there's no headroom problems at all.

It's tight

Bordering 6'. I don't have moonroof but I rented a Mazda5 Touring the other day, there was plenty of headroom space, no trouble. At 6'4" I would be more worried about the legroom, but you seem to have test driven one so you should be then OK...

It's definitely tight legroom-wise but I'm used to that. However unlike most Sedans it felt good on the Mz5 test drive to feel like I wasn't scraping the ceiling and look out the top 2 inches of the window

I hear ya, letting her choose (or letting her think she is the one choosing) is smart, trust me... LOL ;)

I think we are leaning toward the GT. With 2 kids and 2 jobs, money is tight but time is tighter.

I really appreciate all the input. I'll report back with the purchase price info etc on Monday. Right now the quote is:
Year: 2008
Color: Stormy Blue Mica
Trim: GT
Tranny: Auto
Any extra accessories: Door Edge Guards, Cargo Cover, Rear Bumper Step Plate
Sale Tax Rate: 8.25% (I think + another $200 registration)

Price you paid:
$22.4K to drive away (except it's coming from Japan so we'll wait till late June/early July!) + 2.2K for taxes and registration.

Will plan to do window tinting...looks cool and good for kids eyes (always have to have the health and safety angle with family, right?)

We'll also probably try to find not overly obnoxious seat covers till the kids learn not to be so messy.

We have a Sport without the side sills and spoiler. I posted a pic of it a while back. It's not the best angle, but it does give you some idea. Let me know if you want another angle and I'll do my best to send you more pics.

We didn't particularly care when shopping, but we found that unadorned 5s are quite rare around here. At this point I happen to like the unadorned look.

Thanks Doctorz I appreciate the picture! Yeah it does look fine. I was worried somehow is would suddenly lose all character, not so.

OK I'm about to make an order. We're going to get the GTA. The price will come down another $750 thanks to a rebate. Good news! Makes the purchase slightly less painful.

5's without the side sills and spoiler look bare naked. It REALLY makes te car. Well worth it imo.

I'm just the opposite. Less is better... Without the side sills and spoiler it looks a lot sleeker to me...

Here is my wifes...
m52.jpg

Here's mine...
51.jpg

we got base sport with PEP without 6 CD changer.. (just side sills and rear spoiler)..
i drove the car without PEP for about 2 weeks.. then i had my dealer installed them...

Before the PEP.. my Mz5 looked "Good"

AFter the PEP.. my Mz5 looked "Great".. just my 2 cents.

img0230yu7.jpg

rodslinger, I noticed your wife's tires are shinny and your are not, something you want to tell us?....... I don't have the sills and I think it looks great..... seen a couple around with sills and thought they looked great......

That's not the same PEP package. The spoiler is different. Not sure about the side sills.

^^

If your PEP does not come from FACTORY, your rear spoiler look "different" since OEM rear wing has integrated washer nozzle in spoiler but "aftermarket" which is still considered OEM by Mazda.. has different style mounting..

yhst-24809172479195_1996_1100006

If your PEP does not come from FACTORY, your rear spoiler look "different" since OEM rear wing has integrated washer nozzle in spoiler but "aftermarket" which is still considered OEM by Mazda.. has different style mounting..

Hey dreamym5, that post-factory PEP will continue to haunt you huh? :D. FWIW: Not that I've seen many Mazda5s around, but with that rear wing, none (2thumbs)

Rex, here we go, we actually had a good chat over this:
http://www.mazdav.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123697883

Back