Manual switching Reverse camera?

clarko

:
Mazda SP23 and CX9
Has anyone rigged up a switch to turn on the reverse camera whilst driving forward?

There have been times where I would like to do this, eg:
...... sitting at the lights and some moron is 2" off my rear end
...... a nice chick walks past behind
...... when playing the ipod, the screen is basiclly blank, so at least I could use it for something.

I know it would not be hard to trace the wire from the transmission shifter (reverse light switch), but how can it be rigged so that the reverse lights dont go on as well?

Tracing the wire from the reverse switch would be a good start as that will give you the required input to the video system. Break into the existing wire and put a diode in series with it. Then you can wire a switch going to 12V and the video system. The diode will stop the 12V being provided through the switch from also going the other way and supplying the reverse lights.

Note that doing what you want to do would also be illiegal, at least it is NSW, not sure about Queensland. Down here it is illegal to have any video display visible to the driver whilst the vehicle is in forward motion. They are even talking about banning video screens in the front seat headrests because they are visible to drivers of other cars.

I'm actually in NSW (Tweed Heads)

They just wanna take all the fun out eh!(five-0)

I think it would be easy to hide, thanks for the info.

Back