Overhead DVD Install in 5 with sunroof

Has anyone installed an overhead DVD in a 5 with sunroof?
I'd like to attempt the install myself.
Please share your experience.

57 Views and nobody has attempted this?

Does anyone have the .pdf instructions for the installation of the dealer installed Entertainment system?

OEM DVD from Ford Explorer

I bought the OEM DVD player for a 2002 Ford Explorer, install kit and all, for $170 new on ebay.

It's the exact same Audiovox VOD705 which Mazda sells for their line-up. (part 0000-8F-F40)
I then ordered an install kit for the Mazda5 with moonroof
(part 0000-8F-L21) $130 from ocmazda.
The kit comes complete with straight forward install instructions.
It has a template, which allows you to trace and cut the headliner, and then install the backet, without having to remove the headliner.

In Short, I'll have the OEM DVD player for $300 installed
Only difference: it has 'Ford Motor Company' written on it

I'll keep you posted on the install.

Last edited:
Installed!

Installed and working.
It took about 5 hours start to finish.
Completely OEM, except for the 'Ford Motor Company'
on the bottom of the screen.
I'll post pictures of the install later this week.

OEM DVD Install

Some disassembly required.

y1p7lVJsYX-KLhsGJ51x3kwmw6AcJoRfwscEKshbDI3X434xwA9vYvNOTcSTFOYj0ems9SsPUPRGBKtC3nQIFZAcQ

The 'hole'

y1p7lVJsYX-KLi-Gs-2_tOie_HQpyeDmFYh93FdM2-msS8D-nyw6l99eoQyi-Mag-a2usLJve-IT8TUX_UoZ7deEg

The finished product

y1p7lVJsYX-KLj41leqiHdxScUC7fVyTbSUW5lOQ78oPjKutZff0n6nFR4hh3LP6JcAghPie73BrBndpKuzRD2p6Q

Last edited:
Can the kids in the 3rd row see it fine if there are people in the 2nd row? I'm soon to have 4 children and wonder if one screen on the roof is enough for everyone.

Thanks!

They would see the screen, no problem.

Btw... the DVD does not hamper the view in the rear view mirror, even when it's down.

Great Job

Install looks great.

I just bought the console part number 0000 8F L21 non sunroof console for my Mazda 5. Now I am bidding on audiovox vod705. Are there any other Audiovox models that fit this overhead console. (for example when I did my Dodge caravan I had 3 choices of audiovox models that fit its console from 6.5" to 8.5" I went with the 7")

I think the 7" will be the perfect size for this size car.

Also I would like to know how you did the sound? did you take it in through the Aux port or did you use the RF modulator. I will probalby split off the aux input for sound. I wish the stero had low level inputs... I am not sure if they make a module for that or not.

Any help would be appreciated

Jason

The VOD705 comes with the RF modulator...that's what I used. I have noticed a slight decrease in FM reception strength.
The install kit from Mazda is awesome, it has step bystep instructions on the install.

Keep me posted on your progress.

Ivo

Back