• test1

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • test2

Votes: 1 33.3%

• Total voters

jasma1

:
'10 MZ-5 GT
I just installed a new HID kit (High Density Input bulbs) similar to what we see on Mercedes, Lexus or BMW vehicle.

Would anybody know how to disable the DRL (Daytime running lights) that is compulsory here in Canada?

Problem is that eventhough I turn on my lights all the time (I mean low beams, fogs, etc...), the HID kit does not like DRL... And therefore, I always need to turn on the light switch BEFORE starting the vehicle.

Its ok for me, but when somebody else drives my van (garage, wife, etc...), they never remember and it makes the HID lights to flicker...

If anybody knows where I could find the fuse (or module), i would appreciate.

Thanks guys.

hey there! i'm from canada too and i'm assuming that our cars are identical underneath the skin so here's what i found out.

-the DRL turns itself on by a switch when you release the e-brake.
-what i did was dismantle the center console (only four screws) and located the switch that triggers the DRL.
-after much experimenting, i found that you cannot remove the switch just like that, it must somehow still be connected to the metal part of which it was originally screwed.
-in my case, i got a longer screw and inserted spacers so that there is still conduction between the metal part of the body to the switch itself.

i have been running without DRL's for quite some time and so far, no problems (hopefully never!) the only downside is that your e-brake indicator light is always on in the gauge cluster. it depends on you if you can live with that RED exclamation point every time you drive but it's something that i'd live with against having my HID's flicker.

hope this helps brotha!

U can ground the HID ground to the chassis. that will give u a constant 12V. BUt the HID will be on just like your DRL, without the flickering.

Jazzie and Ken, thanks for your replies. I appreciate.

Jazzie, since I would not like to have any red light in the dash, I'm wondering what else I can do!!

And Ken, I installed my HIDs with a relay to feed a full 12 volts of power, and I also put the ground at the same place as the battery (on the van's boddy). This did not change anything, in terms of flikerring....

Guys... How do you think they modify the 5, from a US model to a Canadian model???? What is your opinion? In my mind, it should'nt be to hard to remove this DRL, but till now, I did not found the answer....

Anyways... For you guys who wonders about installing HIDs, I'm telling you, there is a MAJOR difference in lighting compared to the factory ones. I installed 8000k HIDs on both low beams and fog lights. Soooo nice!!!

Sorry, I'm a noob with the Mazda5. So if I install an HID kit on my Mazda5, I have to disable the DRL or else my HIDs will flicker when I start the car?

And Ken, I installed my HIDs with a relay to feed a full 12 volts of power, and I also put the ground at the same place as the battery (on the van's boddy). This did not change anything, in terms of flikerring....

sorry i mean using the body ground instead of the ground on the headlight plug. there r 2 wires that goes into the factory headlight low beam, if u cut the ground and connect it to the chassis, it will give u 12V.

Hi Ken855 thank you very much. I did what you say. It work good in our Canadian MZ5 with DRL. I am ok with using HID as DRL or low beam.
This is the most easy way to use HID with DRL.
Thank you very much again.

After researching on the internet, I understand now the problem with DRL in our cars in Canada. Basically, there's not enough current when DRL is on to power the ballast which causes flickering.

Have anyone tried adding a relay harness to give the ballast the full 12v when DRL are on? It seems to work for alot of people from reading around on the internet. I've also read that it doesn't work on some of the newer cars. Anyone try relay harness on our Mazda5's?

Henika,

This is how my Mazda 5 is set: with a relay and harness. And... Unfortunately, no change... I'm still getting my power directly from the battery, but the result is the same... It is flickering.

I'll try to do what the previous guy did... And see if it works.

I still don't understand how it cannot be easier to disable the DRLs.... What does Mazda CDA do to put them on Canadian models??? I tought it would be a simple fuse, but it doesn't seems like....

Henika,

This is how my Mazda 5 is set: with a relay and harness. And... Unfortunately, no change... I'm still getting my power directly from the battery, but the result is the same... It is flickering.

I'll try to do what the previous guy did... And see if it works.

Please please let me know when you put your ground wire to the chasis if that works well for you. I need to know for when I install mine. Thanks.

I did with the chassis ground (using the body ground instead of the ground on the headlight plug. there are 2 wires that goes into the factory headlight low beam, if u cut the ground and connect it to the chassis, it will give u 12V). It work fine and no problem (it had been a week now with every day driving).
1. Use HID on low beam.
2. with hand brake pull up and headlight switch off = DRL off
3. with hand brake down (off) and headlight switch off = DRL on
4. with hand brake pull up and headlight switch at auto (when dark outside) = low beam on
5. with hand brake pull up and headlight switch at auto (when day light outside) = low beam off
6. with hand brake down (off) and headlight switch at auto = low beam on

I did with the chassis ground (using the body ground instead of the ground on the headlight plug. there are 2 wires that goes into the factory headlight low beam, if u cut the ground and connect it to the chassis, it will give u 12V). It work fine and no problem (it had been a week now with every day driving).

Thanks for the feedback. So if I do it this way, then I don't need to use a relay correct?

is up to you. But I still use relay kits to be safe.
Make sure you cut the factory headlight plug the ground side and connect the plug ground to the body.

I plan on making a custom harness to make my fogs my DRLs. then when the auto lighting kicks in, my HIDS will come on.

Back