Need New Tires

CX-9 Atlanta

:
Mazda CX-9 Grand touring AWD Red Mica Nav.
I have 39000 miles on my CX-9 and the tires are about gone.

Anyone found any thing better than Bridgestones for the 20" rims (blowup)

The choices are pretty limited in this size.
I'd suggest looking at the Pirelli Scorpion STR A. These are the other OEM tires that Mazda puts on at the factory. The STR A is notably less expensive and has a better wear rating at 520 AA vs 260 AA for the Dueler H/T.

I can't say the Pirelli is definitely better, but it would be hard to get worse than the Dueler H/T.

Ted

Last edited:
Here's what I'm planning to get as soon as my OEM's wear out:

Continental CrossContact UHP 255/50ZR20
$225 ea @ www.TireRack.com

However, these are pretty much summer only tires. For me that's not a problem as I have dedicated winter tires / rims.

For all season, I agree with kosh2258, the Pirelli Scorpion STR or STR-A would be a good alternative.

Michelin Latitude Tour HP

This tire only offers in the 18'' wheels :rolleyes: This is such an odd size for the 20'' for the GT guys....

One would think that if the wheel is upsize by 2'', the width would too. It would be nice if we can run 265's on the stock rims...

New Tires for my CX9

I was just told, I need new tires. I only have 18,900 miles on my CX9??? The dealership said they would be willing to pay for half of the Perielle Scorpion (??) tires, however; I would need to pay 50%. The tires are wearing incorrectly and they are wavey... they also vibrate the car...What are your thoughts on this? I dont know much about cars, but it seems to me that a $450 expense for tires, at 18,900 miles is a CRAZY, unnecessary expense on my end? What are your thoughts??? Any info would really help me!!!

Thanks-

CX9 Tire Rotations

Does anyone know the recommended amount of miles for a tire rotation on a CX9? 5,000 seems a little overdone??

Rotation

Does anyone know the recommended amount of miles for a tire rotation on a CX9? 5,000 seems a little overdone??

Well, the first service schedule for the CX-9 is 7,500 miles, so I would imagine that would be it.

Aren't the tires warrantied by the tire manufacturer? You could probably put in a claim on their side and get better than 50% pro-rated that the dealer is offering you...

Aren't the tires warrantied by the tire manufacturer? You could probably put in a claim on their side and get better than 50% pro-rated that the dealer is offering you...

Stock tires are not covered by the manufacturer, and if you get 18000-20000 miles then your doing well with these tires.

Sam's Club has the 245/50/20 for $114 each if you want Goodyear Eagles RS-A. They also have Goodyear Wranglers for $118 ea.

I just purchased Toyo Proxes S/T II's. They're brand new and available in the stock 245/50R20 size. They're now M+S rated, unlike the previous S/T's. I'll post up once I get them mounted. www.treadepot.com has them for relatively cheap.

I'm selling my 18's if you're still wanting to go the snow route in the marketplace. I'll post up a quick review once I get the Toyo's on, no doubt.

You guys should check for sizes other than stock that have the same sidewall height. Mazda uses off size tires on most models, so you can usually get a better price with a more common size.

On my CX-7 I went from 235/65 - 18's to 255/55 - 18's and they have the same diameter. They were also about $100 cheaper and better made than the stockers...

Toyos mounted today!

Finally got the Toyos on, and while I don't really have a good basis for comparison I love these tires! I changed from the stock 18's to OEM 20's with these tires, so I don't have a direct comparison with the Duelers. However, the car is still every bit as quiet at all speeds as the Duelers and handling has certainly improved. Part of this is most likely from the decrease in sidewall, as is the slightly firmer ride. But so far, so good with the Proxes S/T II's.

Highly recommended.

Finally got the Toyos on, and while I don't really have a good basis for comparison I love these tires! I changed from the stock 18's to OEM 20's with these tires, so I don't have a direct comparison with the Duelers. However, the car is still every bit as quiet at all speeds as the Duelers and handling has certainly improved. Part of this is most likely from the decrease in sidewall, as is the slightly firmer ride. But so far, so good with the Proxes S/T II's.

Highly recommended.

I'm looking to remove and replace the OE Bridgestone 20's with a m/s configuration. The only two options currently in 245/50/vr20 are the Toyo Proxes s/t II and the Yokohama Parada Spec-x. Most dealers aren't even carrying the Yokohama in this size yet, and it looks like they'll be a bit more expensive than the Toyo. Really, I'm not overly enthusiastic about either brand. The Toyo looks aggressive and I can get them to my door for $514 from Treadepot thru 8/4.

I know from prior experience Toyo quality varies a bit by run, but man that's not a bad price. It's hard to tell which tire will better expel snow out of the tread, but some of the winter driving testimonials on Tire Rack say the Yokohama did well (Tire Rack is not carrying the Yokohama in our size yet). I also know from experience Toyo tires can appear less wide than competing tires of the same size. In fact, when I dug into the specs, the Yokohama was .2" wider than the Toyo in the same OE size. Toyo touts the quiet design built into the s/t II, but I wouldn't be surprised if the tread design is amenable to cupping and road noise over time purely as a function of tread aggressiveness (not necessarily rubber composition). In terms of ratings both tires are 420/A/A so either should wear better than the factory mess.

Anybody out there in the wild running these Yokohamas on their CX-9 GT?

http://www.yokohamatire.com/tires/parada_specx.aspx

http://www.toyo.com/docs/tires/tires.asp?lpid=40036&name=proxes%20st%2011%99&category=lgt-suv-truck

Last edited:
Back