MPG and Towing Package RECM

ux149

I've got 2,600 miles on my '08 AWD GT with towing package, and get 16 mpg with no AC running in 80% suburb / 20% hwy driving. Does anyone know if the "Revised Engine Control Module" that is included in the towing package affects mpg when not towing?

I only have the towing package because it was on the vehicle I wanted. Since I never tow, I'm wondering if I should have the module removed/replaced and tow bar removed when I go in for my first oil change.

Alas, we get about the same mileage on our 08 AWD GT without the tow package, with the same ratio of city/hwy driving as you (with about 1000 miles). And this is with my wife driving, i.e. no harsh acceleration, etc. If I were to drive the thing I'm sure mileage would go down.

I believe the tow package only "turns on" when it senses that you're towing? So otherwise it should be the same as the regular ECU (but don't take my word on that one).

MPG is not great on this car. But don't worry, other SUVs this size (like the Acadia, or even the Pilot), don't do much better.

I have also been getting 16mpg+/-0.5 with mixed city/highway (heavy traffic). No towing package on my CX-9, but I did install a hitch (28lbs).
So, no, I don't think the tow package is affecting your MPG much.

I've got 2,600 miles on my '08 AWD GT with towing package, and get 16 mpg with no AC running in 80% suburb / 20% hwy driving. Does anyone know if the "Revised Engine Control Module" that is included in the towing package affects mpg when not towing?

I only have the towing package because it was on the vehicle I wanted. Since I never tow, I'm wondering if I should have the module removed/replaced and tow bar removed when I go in for my first oil change.

depends on how the ECM is controlling the transmission compared to the standard ECM but, isnt the vehicle rated 15cty/21hwy? So 16 is right where it should be. not only that, some people get higher than rated, some get lower, there are a lot of factors, hard starts, cold weather, lots of idling, winter fuel.

depends on how the ECM is controlling the transmission compared to the standard ECM...

Exactly, and that's what I'm wondering. There's the opinion that it does nothing different when not towing. But, it would be great to hear that from someone who knows it for a fact.

ECM aside, a towing package should reduce mpg some due to the weight of the hitch and the additional engine workload caused by the transmission cooler.

Last edited:
ECM aside, a towing package should reduce mpg some due to the weight of the hitch and the additional engine workload caused by the transmission cooler.

Compared to hauling around a heavy vehicle and pushing it through a lot of air, I doubt the weight of the hitch and pumping loss through the cooler would be measureable. Probably less than having an extra passenger. (Sorry honey, you can't come along, you're reducing my gas mileage!(smash))

I'm going to making a CX9 purchase this week (before the end of the 1.9% financing) and to get the add-ons that I want, the towing package is already on those vechicles.

1. So I was wondering if there are any new opinions on if the towing package does, or does not, affect MPG or performance since the last post in April.

2. Also, does the hitch go under the bumper?? Does it stick out?? Are there any pictures of it floating around? I'm concerned because I will never use it, really don't want it, but Mazda says it's already on the CX9's I'm looking at.

First post on your forum, and possibly first Mazda! I love the way the CX9 drove on the test drive. Thanks for any help!!

Back