Cracked windshield

I just noticed that there is a crack in my windshield that starts under the trim top left of the rear view mirror and it travels down and under the sensor panel. No visible sign of damage that could cause the crack, other than a very tiny and shallow chip. I have bigger rock chips that haven't crazed. Anybody else have this happen? I'd hate to drop the $300 deductible just to have it happen again because of a design flaw.

I tried to take a picture but the reflection was too much to show anything.

We got a windshield hit last month, with a < dime size 'circle' above the wiper blade coverage area. 'No big deal' we thought, as it was out of the line of vision.

However, it decided yesterday to start to crack - and by this morning had travelled about 7" south.

So Mrs Sparkybhoy had to order one in from the glass shop (something to do with the auto wipers) and it'll be here a week Thursday.

She called the dealership (for a giggle) to see what their price was, and they quoted her close to $1,000.

We opted for the $300 deductible instead.

I feel your pain...

Mine cracked a few months ago... following a healthy sized rock impact at 60MPH.

My guess is at some point a rock hit the windshield and didn't appear to cause damage, and it finally split. I personally haven't heard of anyone here having spontaneously cracking windshields, so replace it and you should be fine.

Sucks though...

Many Ins. Co's have free glass replacement for less than $5 per month. I think it's a wise choice in your coverage.

Well, I'm going to hold off replacing it, until the highway crews clean all the rocks and sand off the roads from this past winter. I'll have to check in with the insurance co to see if they offer a private glass insurance that's a better deal than ICBC (stands for The Government Has A Firm Grip On My Wallet!) where I pay $127 per year so I can then pay a minimum $300 deductible for windshield replacement. So my windshield, when I do get around to replacing it, will end up costing me $554 ($127 per year for 2 years + $300 deductible), which is a good deal I guess if the glass really does cost $1000.

uhm... I understand your concern about winter roadway debris and financial constraints, but this is a bad idea IMO. You'd be amazed on how quickly a crack can grow, even if it hasn't already. Safety concern IMO... but I would like someone else to verify my thoughts behind this?

Sorry (shrug)

EDIT: Also, FWIW... I'm pretty sure some law enforcement agencies may cite you for driving around with the windshield in this condition.

Last edited:
I'd agree with jandree22, apart from the fact that we've had 2 cracks (started from opposite sides of the windshield) that have run toward each other right in front of the driver, but then couldn't agree on where to meet, ran past each other, and and so turned opposite directions and ran some more for about 2 years now. Once the rocks/gravel/sand/winter are gone (There's 40 mph winds and snow this AM), we're going to have it replaced this year.

Where are you located? Do you have AAA or CAA? They offer windshield replacement services...

Or shop around as well. After 3 years it seems that the Mazda5 windshields have become more common and affordable in some areas (even the ones with rain sensors). I saw a couple of weeks back some advertised for even USD$250 (very skeptical, do not trust it) but in general they are somewhere USD$400-500

Somewhere like:
https://www.safelite.com
http://www.glass.net

I cannot endorse any, but at least I would do some window shopping (literally ;))

I remembered seen it on one of the AAA magazines, FYI

http://www.aaamidatlantic.com/aaaworld/article.asp?id=571

Winter can take a heavy toll on your vehicle. The combination of salt, sand and light stones that many highway departments put down to keep road surfaces clear of snow and ice can especially take its toll on your windshield.

“The windshield serves as a key component of a vehicle’s structural integrity. Once it is damaged or compromised in any way, it should be replaced,” says Lance Sabouni, AAA Mid-Atlantic Roadside Assistance managing director.

What makes a windshield compromised? “Windshields are two pieces of glass with laminate between them. If one of the pieces is broken or cracked and exposes the middle layer of laminate, it should be replaced.”

To anyone replacing their vehicle’s windshield, Sabouni recommends that car owners do more than shop for price. “Proper installation of replacement windshields is critical,” says Sabouni. “Ask if the glass installers are certified by the National Glass Association (NGA) or Auto Glass Replacement Safety Standards Council (AGRSS).

“Many windshield adhesives work effectively in low temperatures, but not all glass installers use such adhesives since they are more expensive,” Sabouni says. “Make sure to ask if the adhesive used will set up properly under the current temperature conditions, and also ask how long the adhesive manufacturer recommends that the adhesive cures before the vehicle is driven.”

yeah as a general rule, I don't trust companies that offer to come out and do it at your house/work/etc on the spot. A) Usually they do a lousy job because of the work environment and B) there are environmental concerns such as temp/humidity/debris etc that can hinder the integrity of the job.

I had mine done by Diamond Auto glass on the spot a few years ago when a golf ball took out my rear windshield. They were one of those "we'll come out to YOU to do the job... in the parking lot". First job, the windshield freekin rattled for Pete's sake! They came back and fixed it. My boss had a similar experience with them.

Recently I took my 5 to a small local chain, "Cindy Rowe Auto Glass", they did it INSIDE a warm garage and no problems first time.

So yes, who you pick for this makes a difference in quality and integrity of the job. Be wary of large chains such as Diamond Auto Glass... like any business, when they spread themselves too thin, they may lessen their consistency in quality.

uhm... I understand your concern about winter roadway debris and financial constraints, but this is a bad idea IMO. You'd be amazed on how quickly a crack can grow, even if it hasn't already. Safety concern IMO... but I would like someone else to verify my thoughts behind this?

Sorry (shrug)

EDIT: Also, FWIW... I'm pretty sure some law enforcement agencies may cite you for driving around with the windshield in this condition.

Well, you need to see the roads in winter in these here parts! They look like gravel roads right now. The highway crews are already cleaning it up, so it should only be a week or so.

The crack isn't THAT big, it run from the top of the windshield to an inch below the blacked out sensor area, and then turns sharp right and under the sensor and ends within an inch of clearing that area. That's what makes me question whether the sensor area itself is causing the problem.

The Federales around here aren't concerned about cracked windshields, at least not at this time of year. There are literally hundreds of cars driving around with them right now!

I've had bad experiences in the past with the el cheapo glass shops, and only have them worked on at a locally owned shop. I know the owner personally, so I'm pretty sure I'll get good service.

well if it's only a short time span like a week, guess that's not too bad. my first impression was that you were gonna wait like a month or somethin :)

Nah, I'm smarter than that! Just don't want to drop the deductible only to pick up a new crack right away.

BTW the crack has extended about 6 inches into my line of sight. I'll be looking at getting it replaced in the next week or so.
angry.gif

FWIW, once our windshield was cracked for a day or two, it spread VERY rapidly within a week. Never had a windshield in any car do that before...

FWIW, once our windshield was cracked for a day or two, it spread VERY rapidly within a week. Never had a windshield in any car do that before...
Probably has something to do with the huge ass windshield in the 5. Body flex probably has an easier time torquing it apart.

aaargh - Mine cracked too

Today I noticed a foot long crack in the windshield. It starts at the lower drivers side corner and radiates out at 45deg or so.

Anyone been through this before? What's it going to cost me?

We got a windshield hit last month, with a < dime size 'circle' above the wiper blade coverage area. 'No big deal' we thought, as it was out of the line of vision. My guess is at some point a rock hit the windshield and didn't appear to cause damage, and it finally split. I personally haven't heard of anyone here having spontaneously cracking windshields, so replace it and you should be fine. I understand your concern about winter roadway debris and financial constraints, but this is a bad idea IMO. You'd be amazed on how quickly a crack can grow, even if it hasn't already.

Replacement Auto Glass

Back