help with dashboard

LENNY127

Banned
While I have a dozen years experience in machine shop and building engines I have always shied away from electronics and interior work. I m sure if I spend a couple of hours I can figure it out on my own but with with delicate plastics and clips that you dont know which way to pull I usually end up breaking something. I wanted to see if behind the face plate of hour dash (below the radio display) there was any room to mount a gauge or two (obviously the face plate would have to be trimmed) My question is, has anyone pulled this piece out and do you have some instructions, my fear is pulling pieces in the wrong direction or too hard and end up ruining a nice interior. Any help would be appreciated.

its 2 screws and a philips screw driver.

Open the arm rest then pull out the center console trim, it is one piece from the front of the cup holder back, you'll be amazed how easy it comes out.

unscrew the shifter knob then pull up on the surrounding trim, it'll put out just like the last piece.

remove the astray and you should now be looking a 2 Philips screws. remove them and put somewhere safe. the ashtray surround and the airbag light/cig lighter are 1 piece despite looking like 2, there are clips at the top which i found to be a little stiff, i had to work one corner out then the other but it will come.

Sorry i dont have pics and all of the above is from memory but you cant go wrong.

Some people have mounted gauges down in the ashtray area. I have been toying with the idea of fiberglassing a small panel to replace the ashtray (I don't smoke) and SRS light panel. I saw another guy make one out of aluminum but fiberglass would be easier for me.

I remember meeting some dude that was at the Great Falls Meet in VA that makes a black powdercoated metal version of this....this same guy also makes shift knobs. I wish I could remember the name of his business.

Back