Eliminating sqeaking from lower console (climate control panel)

mk_slayr

:
wrx, wrx
Since it became cold I've had a very rickety squeak coming from my center console, in the climate control area. By smooshing various panels I found that the climate control's upper portions were loose. This morning I was removing my Sirius clip and swapping in the Aux cable when I noticed how the lower panel was attached.

HPIM0456.jpg

It is a plastic on plastic connection that is forced together by the center console. I had a small gap between the two which was causing a squeak so I made a small shim out of some electrical tape to put positive pressure on the two pieces so they are sandwiched when the center console is shoved in.

I cut a piece of electrical tape to a length of about 8 inches and began folding it back on itself in the shape of a 1 inch rectangle. After, I had a 1 and a eight inch rectangle that was about a mil thick so I cut out the center and a side to form a C.

HPIM0460.jpg

Which I sandwiched between the two plastic pieces. I actually have it installed in the first pic, it fit well and didn't protrude beyond the edges of the plastic pieces.

Now there is no rattle and my console panel fits much better with no play.

I figured this was an obvious thing to do, but I didn't know how easy it was going to be until after I had the console out and was looking at the fixture.

-mk

thats the exact same problem i have, that panel rattles like crazy! can you explain a little better or post a pic of where exactly you put the tape as a buffer because i cant tell in the first pic. i would like to do this asap so i can hear/find the next loose trim in my car

In the first pic, the tape is sitting directly behind the rectangularly shaped piece of plastic that is whited out by my flash.

The C-shape sits directly behind it with the side of the C toward the right.

At that bracket their are two pieces of plastic that meet, the second piece is the darker colored plastic behind the whited out plastic. The HU has a clip that is put through both, so the two plastic rectangles aren't attached together in any way.

Basically, the c-shape piece of tape is sandwiched between the whited out piece of plastic, and the darker trim behind it. Once you pull your HU it is a lot easier to see than what the picture indicates.

-mk

also look at the small clips holding the trim panel on the piece... push down on them and make sure they are clicked in. the reason that panel is loose on that side is because the radio clip pulled it apart. good fix.

Back