What are these accessories anyway?

cayt

My husband and I are about to buy a Mazda5, and are SO excited. But the salesman is pushing this "popular package," which is a cd changer, rear liftgate spoiler and side sill extensions. What the heck are the last two things? And why should I pay $500 for them?

the liftgate spoiler im assuming is a spoiler that just goes on top of the roof, on top of the hatch
and the side sill extensions are basically just ground effects, u dont really "need" them but they make the car look overall better or sportier i guess would be the word

for $500 just buy some new rims or upgrade the sound systems =p

My wife has the mazda5 and if I am going to do any mod to it with $500, I would just get some springs to it.

P2253086.jpg

The spoiler is the thing above the taillights and rear window...it's a pretty mild spoiler, but looks decent. The side sill extension is the thing closest to the ground, between the two wheels.

My 5 is the "base" Sport without the side sills or spoiler. While they look nice, I neede the extra $$ for Snow tires on rims.

2179272321_c1d8756026_o.jpg

The side sill is kind of sacrificial skin. It makes a loud scratching nasty noise when turning too soon and hitting the curb at a car park. Giving you enought warning to stop. It also forces you to really be careful in positioning the jack stand when changing tires. In winter time, the muck gets blocked somehow by the side sill maybe preventing some salt from getting into the paint/metal part of the underside of the doors.

As for the rear spoiler, I have no idea what functional purpose it has. Maybe as a sun visor when reversing and facing the sun.

The side sill is kind of sacrificial skin. It makes a loud scratching nasty noise when turning too soon and hitting the curb at a car park. Giving you enought warning to stop. It also forces you to really be careful in positioning the jack stand when changing tires. In winter time, the muck gets blocked somehow by the side sill maybe preventing some salt from getting into the paint/metal part of the underside of the doors.

As for the rear spoiler, I have no idea what functional purpose it has. Maybe as a sun visor when reversing and facing the sun.

I believe the rear spoiler might help keep the rear window cleaner, but I am unsure about that. I'm glad I don't had the sills, as the Mazda mud guards only fit the Sport without the guards (now if I could find the time to install them...)

My husband and I are about to buy a Mazda5, and are SO excited. But the salesman is pushing this "popular package," which is a cd changer, rear liftgate spoiler and side sill extensions. What the heck are the last two things? And why should I pay $500 for them?

I have it in both my cars, in summary: nice features to make it look more decent IMO and more functional (not me, but my wife loves the CD changer to play all her old CDs, don't ask)

And, if you are getting an 08 you should get a black finish radio faceplate instead of the aluminum finish one, I like it too...

I had hard time finding a Sport w/o "popular package" when shopping. I rather spend the extra $500 on practical things like seat covers/tint/cargo liner.

I had hard time finding a Sport w/o "popular package" when shopping. I rather spend the extra $500 on practical things like seat covers/tint/cargo liner.

I can second that remark. I was hunting for several months, when our just showed up at the dealer. Still had to pay for the All-Weather mats (wanted those anyway) and the Auto-Dimming Mirror ( I like it, but $200 seems a bit steep)

I haven't seen the wind-tunnel tests of the Mazda5. But "generally", a sharp cutoff with more of a square edge helps to elimiate turbulence. Rounded rear-ends are more prone to lift. Whether this holds true in the Mazda5...dunno.

I believe the rear spoiler might help keep the rear window cleaner, but I am unsure about that. I'm glad I don't had the sills, as the Mazda mud guards only fit the Sport without the guards (now if I could find the time to install them...)

It does help keep some dirt off the rear window as it moves the airstream back a tad bit.

A few comments.

The factory mid spoiler on the back is BUILT INTO the rear hatch. You can't swap things around without swapping the entire hatch (which is all plastic anyway) I was stunned when I started looking at this. I thought perhaps I could change just the top.

The factory mud flaps are not big enough. They need to be longer and wider to actually keep stuff off the car. I'm going to have to look into adding onto mine somehow. Not sure this will be possible without looking stupid. My plain jane ones on the back work great.

Generally if you want to keep stuff from building up on a back window you need MOVING air across the window. Somehow you would need to divert air downwards across it no matter which model you have.

I disagree

Get the package. The Mz5 is fugly without the spoiler and side sill extensions.

I have a 5 with the side sills and spoiler, and any time I've seen one without them, I've wished mine didn't have them either. I think the add-ons detract somewhat from what I consider to be a very nice shape.

That said, I still think they look great either way.

I have a 5 with the side sills and spoiler, and any time I've seen one without them, I've wished mine didn't have them either. I think the add-ons detract somewhat from what I consider to be a very nice shape.

That said, I still think they look great either way.

yes, but you are wrong.

These guys pretty much answered your question but let me throw in another point. If you are still on the edge about weather or not the $500 is worth it, just remember you're not paying $500, besides the fact that the dealer wants you to spend more money, the APR on your loan still gets a bite from that $500. Might not be much but lets just say that extra $500 on your loan turned out to be a total of $1000 after the life of the loan, would you still think it's worth it? BTW - These are not real numbers, I was just throwing them out to get my point across...

I myself have these features on my 5 and I wouldn't take it any other way :D

60114972-6sm.jpg

The pic's the dealer gave me, haven't had a chance to take some for myself yet, but that's coming.....

60114972-3sm.jpg

One more photo, I'm new to this site; looks like the wing might be a project for later, looks nice on the car..... Fog lamps might also be in the works........

Back