Rippled / Distorted Windshield

chrismags

I picked up my new CX-9 2 weeks ago and let my wife drive it last week. She complained of some distortion when looking through the windshield. She said she was getting headaches and feeling nauseous while driving because of the way the windshield was distorting her vision. Upon further inspection, I saw what she was talking about although it did not bother me while driving. Basically, at an an angle, you can see vertical ripples in the glass that distort what you are looking at. I took the car in to the dealer for them to have a look thinking I had a defective windshield. The service guy saw the ripples so we got into another CX-9 to see if the issue existed there. Unfortunately, it did. And it was visible in two other models on the lot. Then I looked at some other cars on the lot (a Tribute, a Miata) and they all had the same issue. So I left not knowing what to do feeling I had no recourse since other cars had the same problem. I then showed it to my brother-in-law who is a mechanic and he said it was unacceptable and that I needed to go back and fight this.

Has anyone else experienced / noticed this on their models? Any ideas of how I should proceed?

Thanks for reading.

I've never noticed anything on my 07. If the winshield accidentally broke, your insurance might pay for a new one.(wink)

I thought of that, but I really shouldn't have to go through that trouble. If something is wrong with it, Mazda should replace it under the warranty. And I think something is wrong with it, I just don't know what and why.

Try having your wife adjust her seating a bit higher. My wife, who is 5'2", had the same problem. I told her to bring the seat higher and she was above the distorted area.

Its not really one spot. Its the whole windshield. I'm curious to know if other people have this distortion and it just doesn't bother them. Because like I said, I saw it on other models at the dealer I bought my CX-9 from. Is there such a thing as a "bad batch of glass"?

If anybody has the inclination to check to see if you have the same "distortion" we are seeing, open the driver side door and stand outside the vehicle. Look through the passenger's side of the windshield at something stationary - like the aluminum siding on a house - that's where you can really see the waviness as you move your head in any direction.
Post your findings here.

hey i have an 08 CX-9 Sport and i also have the same 'issue' i only notice it while not driving. for instance, if i am sitting in the back or passenger side i notice the windshield has a ripple effect. doesnt bother me or anyone else who drives the cx-9 but it is there. maybe its added film to help prevent shatter during an accident, sun/UV diffuser, prevents glare, or i dunno hahah.. if there is a real reason as to why it is there id really like to know lol.

sounds like a process defect. it came from the process of laminating the windshield. as far as i know, mazda doesn't make their glass, but it should be their responsibility to fix it. just because it is in several of the other models, doesn't mean that it is acceptable. i would call the stealership every day until it got fixed.

On the one you see while staying still, LilRed is right. It's a process defect, either in one of the glass layers or the lamination process. More likely the first.

Have them replace that windshield. Make sure they note that this is not a wear and tear thing (which is not covered by the warranty) but a source quality defect.

The other kind (you have to move to see it and all cars have it) is most likely an optical illusion due to the glass shape. Then the seat position for your wife may indeed help.

Interesting topic here. I just had my whole windshield tinted with 50% Johnson renegade tint and I am going back to have it redone due to wavy lines in the driver viewing area. I thought the tint roll itself they used was defective but maybe it is not? Would the tint enhance or make this noticeable more? Or is it the glass itself that is wavy? Should the dealer replace it if it is bad enough?

I describe the waves to be liquid like going horizontal across the windshield. I do not see it in every area but the most of it is in the view of the driver. My passenger can see it if they look left over to my side easily as well.

I picked up my new CX-9 2 weeks ago and let my wife drive it last week. She complained of some distortion when looking through the windshield. She said she was getting headaches and feeling nauseous while driving because of the way the windshield was distorting her vision. Upon further inspection, I saw what she was talking about although it did not bother me while driving. Basically, at an an angle, you can see vertical ripples in the glass that distort what you are looking at. I took the car in to the dealer for them to have a look thinking I had a defective windshield. The service guy saw the ripples so we got into another CX-9 to see if the issue existed there. Unfortunately, it did. And it was visible in two other models on the lot. Then I looked at some other cars on the lot (a Tribute, a Miata) and they all had the same issue. So I left not knowing what to do feeling I had no recourse since other cars had the same problem. I then showed it to my brother-in-law who is a mechanic and he said it was unacceptable and that I needed to go back and fight this.

Has anyone else experienced / noticed this on their models? Any ideas of how I should proceed?

Thanks for reading.
@chrismags I too have had the same nauseating experience. Not happy about the distortion I too have noticed.

No distortion on my 2018 either. I have noticed the distortion on other older cars, and thought it may have just been because the windshield was replaced using aftermarket glass. I'm not sure if the previous gen CX-9 uses laminated glass, but I know the 2nd gen does. Maybe that's part of it?

I just test drove a 2023 CX-30. Wanted to love it, but in both the passenger and driver seat, I felt dizzy and nauseous due to the windshield distortion. Subsequently test drove a 2023 CX-5, and the windshield was fine.

Back