MZR 2.3L vs DHE 2.3L

rweatherford

:
Mazda 5
What is the difference between the Mazda engine and the Ford engine (which is supposed to be the same 2.3L) used in the Fusion. I noticed that it has more HP and TQ at different RPM than the Mazda.

Looking at the spec sheets you would think they would be the same. (9.7:1 CR, VVT on intake, etc) It's only 3-7 HP difference, but I was wondering why. It is just intake and exhaust? Or has Ford tweaked the ECU for a bit more?

Ok, I figured the exhaust and intake were probably most of it, but I was curious if Ford had different cams or something.

I would agree that the heads are different. Cosworth sells different heads and valvegear items (I think) for the Ford vs. Mazda versions.

While it could be exhaust, it's mainly tuning. The 3 and 6 (also the Fusion are tuned to be at/above that 160 HP mark as HP still sells in the sedan market, despite fuel prices. The 5 was tuned for a smidge more torque, but mainly for a much broader torque curve, with a lower peak.

I don't have the firsthand knowledge, but my dad was shopping for cars and drove our o7 Sport 4AT and an 08 Mazda6 4cyl back to back and hated the powerband of the 6. I'll take more usable power over higher numerical output any day!

Since there is VVT (at least on the Mazda version. Don't know about Ford's), the cams themselves could be the same physical part and yet the motors be 'cammed' differently. A 10hp difference or thereabouts is not something you're going to achieve in these engines with just tuning unless you chuck mpg out the window. Even then I'd have to see it to believe it. It has to be exhaust and/or cams and cam timing, possibly intake and heads, and just a smidgen of tuning perhaps.

Since there is VVT (at least on the Mazda version. Don't know about Ford's), the cams themselves could be the same physical part and yet the motors be 'cammed' differently. A 10hp difference or thereabouts is not something you're going to achieve in these engines with just tuning unless you chuck mpg out the window. Even then I'd have to see it to believe it. It has to be exhaust and/or cams and cam timing, possibly intake and heads, and just a smidgen of tuning perhaps.

Depending on exhaust desidn, a 10HP gain is possible. Here are the specs for the vehicles using the 2.3L:

Mazda3
HP: 156 @ 6500
Torque: 150 @ 4500 rpm

Mazda6
HP: 156 @ 6500 rpm
Torque: 154 @ 4000 rpm

Fusion
HP: 160 @ 6250
Torque: 156 @ 4250

Madzda5
HP: 153 @ 6500 rpm
Torque: 148 @ 4500

Everything is so similar, that exhaust is the most likely difference. By the numbers, the Mazda5 looks down on power, but I am guessing a torque curve would show much more available torque is say the 1000-2500rpm range. It appears the 6 makes a little better torque in the midrange than the 3, but this is again most likely exhaust. I suppose the dual tips on the 6 are the culprit. Tough to say where the extra HP came from for the Fusion. I am guessing some camming/timing/intake difference it at play there.

difference between 2.3L and "DHE-23", is the Ford version is a bootleg :p Do the Ford 2.3's have teh VVT yet

Back