How-To soundproof your Mazda5

monsta

Contributor
:
06 5 Touring, 07 Sport
I've got a bunch of B-quiet ultimate that I'll be putting in my 07 5 tomorrow. I was wondering if anyone else has done it.

Can't stand how noisy it is in this car.

MCK_silicone_earplug.jpg

(thumb) Cheap.. Lightweight....

it's weird, I have heard complaints about the Mazda5 being loud but it seems VERY quiet to me.

But I have owned a lot of cars that are considered loud so maybe I'm just not a vagina.

it's weird, I have heard complaints about the Mazda5 being loud but it seems VERY quiet to me.

+1

2 options: a) I'm deaf or b) my other cars were really, really loud (or crappy)

No, but I rent a lot of cars and never noted a radical noise change, as a matter of fact, I miss my Mazda5 MT quietness and driving when renting an AT for a couple of days...

Last edited:
Must be my tires, I guess.

After ripping out the interior I did notice the lack of sound insulation but upon ripping apart the doors found them to be pretty well insulated and didn't even do anything to them. I only had time to do from the rear to the back of the front seats and it made an big difference. I'll do under the hood and the firewall to under the seats tomorrow.

If you were curious as to what it looked like underneath....

Stupid me...I was in a hurry to get to my sons' Rugby game and forgot to get pics of it after I soundproofed it.

Attachments

• Mazda 5 interior 001.jpg
    Mazda 5 interior 001.jpg
    267.7 KB · Views: 1,746
  • Mazda 5 interior 002.jpg
    Mazda 5 interior 002.jpg
    236.4 KB · Views: 1,236
  • Mazda 5 interior 003.jpg
    Mazda 5 interior 003.jpg
    231.7 KB · Views: 1,324
  • Mazda 5 interior 004.jpg
    Mazda 5 interior 004.jpg
    256.5 KB · Views: 1,225
^^ Whoooa, thanks for posting, interesting pics. Off-topic but you seem to have no trouble doing those type of things indeed :). My skills are null to get to do any of that (uhm)

wow your M5 is "naked"..(lol) J/K

my m5 is much quiter than my other car (honda Fit Sport).

it is even quieter than our old Odyssey:D

especially on highway... one nice quiet ride..(wrc)

i'd be the kind to use dry ice to remove the already factory installed soundproof!
I WANT NOISE...

I had a highway trip today and asked my wife if she thought the car noise was elevated (~65-70MPH) but I got no response, she couldn't hear me.... LOL.

No, but being serious, she said that no (plus we had the little one sleeping in the 2nd row car seat, the guy couldn't care less :)).

Tires are still the OEM F-oyos Crap-xes (hear ya)

I had a highway trip today and asked my wife if she thought the car noise was elevated (~65-70MPH) but I got no response, she couldn't hear me.... LOL.

No, but being serious, she said that no (plus we had the little one sleeping in the 2nd row car seat, the guy couldn't care less :)).

Tires are still the OEM F-oyos Crap-xes (hear ya)

having a kiddo in the 2nd row isn't a good way to prove it's quiet. My kiddo sleeps better, the louder the car is. My 535 sets off alarms everywhere I go and the suspension is stiff enough to send your head into the roof...my 17 m/o daughter falls asleep in no time.

our 2 years old daughter sleeps faster in Mazda than our Honda Fit..(tested and proven fact)(wink)

Sorry for off topic...

^^ Whoooa, thanks for posting, interesting pics. Off-topic but you seem to have no trouble doing those type of things indeed :). My skills are null to get to do any of that (uhm)

10 bolts in all, 2 screws and a few of those quick plastic connectors is all it took. Real easy. It is a nicely engineered car.

On nice road the 5 is quiet. Throw some rough asphalt and gravel at it and it get's noisy in a hurry.

I can see a few areas where some additional work would help. Man you had to show me those 6x9's didn't you....

IMO, the 5 is a pretty quiet vehicle.
BTW, my neck hurts from looking at the pics. (lol2)(lol2) j/k

Sorry...I took them with my iPhone and forgot to rotate them before I posted them. (doh)

After really concentrating I will now agree that the car itself is quiet for the price. I would like luxury car noise levels in it though. There are areas for improvement certainly.

The back part is quite easy to do. Looking at the front...well...I just may leave it as is. The firewall has good insulation. The hood could use some under the stock cover. I'll probably still pull the carpet and do the floor.

I'm interested in pulling the door panels and having a look. If it is anything like the sliding doors I'll probably leave well enough alone. It'd be great to get the stuff on the actual panel but is not worth the hassle or time removing all the crap to get to it.

But it's these freakin' tires! This car EATS tires! My stockers one my 06 get loud after 5K miles and these Pirelli 18 inchers I have on my 07 do the same thing. I guess it's a good "reminder" for me to rotate. But I've noticed that even with rotation, once they start to make noise they always make noise. No matter which tire!

I'll post pics...right side up this time! (crazy)

After really concentrating I will now agree that the car itself is quiet for the price. I would like luxury car noise levels in it though. There are areas for improvement certainly.

yeah, that's kinda my point. I don't expect Lexus quiet for $18k.

Back