iPod Integration Module - What does it really do?

SydneyGuy

G'Day,

I am currently playing an iPod through the AUX connector in the centre console. It works but I am sure it could be better. I have read a bit about the "iPod Integration Module" (IIM) which uses the iPod dock connector rather than the audio output.

The one bit of information I haven't really been able to find is EXACTLY what functionality the IIM provides. No doubt it allows you to control the volume from the steering wheel but I can do that now with just the AUX connection. What I want to be able to do is browse the iPod contents on the dash LCD and select music by touch. Having that nice big display just showing "AUX" seems like a real waste to me.

The dealer was no help at all. In fact he even showed me a Mazda document that told them NOT to sell the IIM as it didn't work. I know there are issues if you have the Sirius radio system but that is not a problem in Australia as we have no such service.

I've seen other cars where the iPod connectivity is excellent. I'm hoping I can do the same in my CX-9. So can anybody that has the IIM installed please tell me exactly what functionality it provides?

Back