Alignment problems 06 Mazda5

patandski

I'm going through my second set of tires, (41K)not satisfied with the dealer I took the car to Firestone before I put my second set of Kumo's on the car. Six months later and 15K these tires are cupped out and worn on the inside tread all four. Firestone tells me the alieghnment is in according to their spec's. They're blogs all over the place referencing this problem. Does anybody know what Mazda is doing about this problem? I guess I will be changing my tires every six months. The poor guys in the UK are getting ticketed over it.

Last edited:
My dealer recently installed new, aftermarket camber adjustment rods under warranty. The tires are now straight up and not canted inward. Handling sucks at high speeds on my favorite road. Kinda fun to drift the rear a bit bit it isn't planted like before. The other night I drifted the rear into the oncoming lane. It's a 20mph corner taken at 50 or so. (Now, this is late at night with good visibility for oncoming cars.) It used to rail around it... *sigh*

I, too, am in search of new tires at ... get this.. 13K!!!!! miles. The insides are so cupped that it freakin' ROARS at speeds below 40mph. I've rotated them twice since new. Both my 5's suffer from this.

So...we either got to rotate them every 3K or less (it seems) or live with the crappy tire wear.

My dealer recently installed new, aftermarket camber adjustment rods under warranty. The tires are now straight up and not canted inward. Handling sucks at high speeds on my favorite road. Kinda fun to drift the rear a bit bit it isn't planted like before. The other night I drifted the rear into the oncoming lane. It's a 20mph corner taken at 50 or so. (Now, this is late at night with good visibility for oncoming cars.) It used to rail around it... *sigh*

I, too, am in search of new tires at ... get this.. 13K!!!!! miles. The insides are so cupped that it freakin' ROARS at speeds below 40mph. I've rotated them twice since new. Both my 5's suffer from this.

So...we either got to rotate them every 3K or less (it seems) or live with the crappy tire wear.

what did they set the rear camber at? Zero? Find a happy medium, set the rear camber at -.5 or -1 and see how it feels. If the toe is basically zeroed, I'd be shocked if -1* blows your tires out very fast.

I've gotten 25k miles out of tires running -3.5* camber...toe was 0.

This is a good discussion. Can anyone report what other alignment specs they've received, from the dealer or elsewhere?

Camber problems

I bought a used 2007 5 with 29000. Tires (I think original toyos) were very unevenly worn and one was terribly out of round. Took it to to get it aligned before getting new tires and they told me they adjusted all they could but the camber was out more than it could be adjusted, both front and rear. Sounds like alot of the talk in the tire forums hint at the same problem. Is it a design flaw and will they fix under warranty?

my $0.02 - just because the alignment is in the "Green" doesnt make it a good alignment. take it to a good alignment shop - you know, the place where the guy is like 80 years old, rolls the car onto a rack and pulls out his tape measure... those guys do the best alignments. that, or a place that does BMW's and porsche's would be my next choice. it might cost more, but the chances of getting the alignment straight increase tremendously.

Back