Bosch Fusion Spark plugs

NjCarbonM5

:
2006 Mazda 5 Carbon Gray
Has anyone changed their sparkplugs yet, I think the stock plugs are iridium type, but the new Bosch type have 4 electrodes.... I used the m3 specs

I replaced mine with some autolite iridiums... they work pretty good. I would have much rather went with some NGK Iridiums or Denso Iridiums but I couldn't find any.

BTW- I used to work at autozone and we got nothing but complaints about the Bosch +2's and +4's... had complaints about them causing some serious detonating. I know that's not what you wanna hear since you purchased them already but i would advise against those spark plugs.

My past experiences with Bosch Platinum, +2 and +4 are not very positive with Japanese cars. Either no improvement or misfire.

The old Bosch Copper Supers seem to work best (in my Porsche). Those pulsestar are scary (bad) if they do what they claim. My bet is they don't. There's a lot of snake oil out there and companies willing to extract your extra $$.

Until they are dyno proven and have millions of road miles with ill-effect, I'm sticking with the old Bosch copper supers. $1.50 at RockAuto. Napa probably carries them too.

Factory plugs are Denso iridiums, so no I haven't changed them yet (only have ~35,000 miles on our 5). What is the aim of switching to autolite iridiums, B16?

Sparkplugs.com has an interesting dyno test of the Pulstar plugs vs. NGK, Denso, and Champion plugs, both copper and iridium. There's also a pretty significant thread in the Service and Maintenance forum at NASIOC.com (Subaru site). The theory of the plugs is actually more or less sound and they would not be harmful at all if they work as advertised. May have to adjust timing if your car has a distributor, though. In fact, they'd reduce fuel dilution (a problem in the Mazda 5 and many new cars) and slightly improve mpg. Lower fuel dilution would mean lower engine wear and longer oil drains.

Trouble is, I don't know whether the theory works out in real life. The company was supposed to send us a batch of plugs for a fleet test here at work, but they've not done so. They're probably just behind, but it's not important enough to us to pursue right now.

My mechanic friend told me you should stick with particular brands depending on the make of you car. For what it's worth:

Bosch- German cars
NGK- Japanese
Champion- American made

Sounds really simplistic if you ask me.

I agree, but literally millions of miles of experience appear to support the notion. I wouldn't necessarily say Champion for American makes, just because Autolite is probably the 'best' thing certain American cars.

As an example (just an example, not a proof), a Datsun 240Z (or later 260Z or 280Z) won't run worth a #($* on Bosch. In fact, our 240Z race car (it was pretty close to what 'showroom stock' would be now; D Production at the time) would foul them enough to cause significant performance loss in less than a race. Champions worked OK, but the car was a slower (according to timings, not seat of the pants). Autolites in my street 240Z literally cracked and physically broke within a few hundred miles. Same deal with most Subarus I've been around (including my own): use NGKs or change out whatever you bought for NGKs once you realize what a mistake you made buying the Bosches or whatever. Talk to most german car owners, and they'll tell you that if you don't put Bosch plugs in, you're going to wish you had fairly soon. All our American stuff has run best on Autolites or Champions.

It's weird and makes no sense at all, but it really does seem to work that way.

Last edited:
BTW- I used to work at autozone and we got nothing but complaints about the Bosch +2's and +4's... had complaints about them causing some serious detonating.

I worked as a manager at an Advance Auto Parts. Same thing, most plugs with more than one electrode just plain don't work well in most cars.

Anyone have any experience with pulse plugs?? I've heard about them too, and for a year or two now. Just don't have the disposable income, especially for something that might not make a difference!

I helped a friend remove one of the ground straps that broke off a +4. If you are running those plugs and suddenly develop a tapping sound.. you may want to pull the plugs and count, lol.

I think all asian cars like NGK, it holds true with my Korean ride. It is much happier with NGK copper than with anything with the Bosch or Champion name on it.

If you have a standard resistor plug, I would say ALWAYS check your gap. For platinum etc don't. I have heard that even checking the gap can scrape off the incredibly small ammount of platinum, irridium, or whatever on it.

Factory plugs are Denso iridiums, so no I haven't changed them yet (only have ~35,000 miles on our 5). What is the aim of switching to autolite iridiums, B16?
I wasn't trying to just switch. I just didn't feel comfortable going 40k+ miles on the same plugs even though the owners manual says 75k intervals. Maybe i'm just old school and not used to plugs lasting that long.

I wasn't trying to just switch. I just didn't feel comfortable going 40k+ miles on the same plugs even though the owners manual says 75k intervals. Maybe i'm just old school and not used to plugs lasting that long.

Feel the same way. At least take your plugs out and check them once every year or two. Plug condition can also tell you what's going on in your engine.

OK, so it was just a 'regular' replacement. Got it.

I understand how you feel. FWIW, I just changed the original factory plugs in my Subaru Baja for the first time a couple months ago. Truck had ~85,000 miles on it. The factory plugs are double iridium (yes, double iridium) and they were still within a couple thousandths of factory gap. Now, I think our 5 plugs are single iridium rather than double, so they'll wear more quickly. I have taken my 5's plugs out twice now (we're a little under 35,000 miles right now) and they haven't shown any evidence of wear of gap change at all.

FWIW, I wouldn't run platinum plugs at all. Platinum doesn't conduct as well as copper or iridium. I'd just stick with iridiums and go.

FWIW, I wouldn't run platinum plugs at all. Platinum doesn't conduct as well as copper or iridium. I'd just stick with iridiums and go.

Any real reason since your plugs and wires are both resistors? (conductivity doesn't seem to be a high priority to the system)

I've heard not to run them with nitrous, but that's about it.

I've never had a problem with running them and removed a set with 100K on them and they were still fine and running good.

Because at the firing points, high conductivity is desirable. It's also desirable to have very low surface area at the firing points. Thus it's desirable to have something made like the iridium plugs just because they use such a tiny tip. If you made the tip that small from copper, it would wear off way too fast, otherwise copper plugs with tiny firing points would be highly desirable.

Back